Thread: Trad dogs?

Country
    United States
    State
    Okla.
    City
    Nichols Hills

Default Trad dogs?

There can't be a better indication of shallowness, than someone who picks a dog, because of the dog's immage. However, after countless Princeton reunions, the dogs that I have observed in the Prade, are hundreds of goldens, labs of both colors, and an occassional neufie. Coincidence? Could be.
    I'll keep looking. This year there may be a number of dobermans and rotweilers with orange neck wear.

Country
    American Samoa
    State
    Region
    City
    Mandatory

Well, well. Nothing wrong with it. You can't exactly go and interview the dog, can you? So you have to look at it? Or does your dog talk?

Southern Proper. On the internet, nobody can tell if you are a dog, but they can tell if you are trad.
    Last edited by Bog; August 5th, 2008 at 18:45.

Surely the best trad dog is an unwanted Mongrel (or a Heinz, to give it its proper name) rescued from an unwanted dog centre and thus displaying its owner's disregard of fashion and kind and generous nature?

Strangely, I have just such a dog

Country
    Australia
    State
    ACT
    City
    Canberra

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Myerson View Post
    Surely the best trad dog is an unwanted Mongrel (or a Heinz, to give it its proper name) rescued from an unwanted dog centre and thus displaying its owner's disregard of fashion and kind and generous nature?

Strangely, I have just such a dog
    I agree completely people who buy dogs for their fashion or social status are mentally defective IMHO. Our dog is a Labrador Stafodshire cross with a bit of Queensland Blue thrown in for good measure.

Elmo, my son picked the name, had a bad start to life he was thrown over a mates fence but their dog who had just had a litter adopted and weaned him then we took him and he always has been great company. He used to be a very proficient body surfer till arthritis caused his retirement.

Country
    UK
    State
    SW1
    City
    London

Trad or not Newfoundlands are great if you have the space and the climate. Our last dog was a Leonberger, a dog of a similar size and temperament to a Newfoundland and we would have another given the right conditions.

Country
    United States
    State
    Ohio
    City
    Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by ajo View Post
    I agree completely people who buy dogs for their fashion or social status are mentally defective IMHO.
    So, what your saying is that 90% of all people are mentally defective!

Country
    United States
    State
    IL
    City
    Downers Grove

Quote Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
    So, what your saying is that 90% of all people are mentally defective!
    If they buy a dog for it's social or fashion "points".
    David

Everything went to hell when we let California have its own pizza.

"The great thing about the internet is everyone has access to it. The bad thing about the internet is that everyone has access to it." me

"The Classic Style was developed, over time, by men who exhibited good taste and emulated by men who could recognize it." me

Country
    United States
    State
    Massachusetts
    City
    Boston

Don't the LL Bean ads provide an answer? Looks like the yellow lab,by a nose!

English Bulldog. Mine is our child.

Country
    United States
    State
    Pennsylvania
    City
    Allentown

I'm not into dogs at all. I used to think I was a "dog person" because I hate cats, but I eventually came to realize that I dislike dogs just as much.

I have never understood the obsession with "pure" breeds of dogs. Eugenics stinks in any form.

Country
    United States
    State
    new york
    City
    new york

Our Chipp2 company makes a range of products( ties, suspenders, wristwatches- all for people, not dogs) that feature pure breed dogs. For years the most popular breeds,as gaged by the products we sell, have been goldens , labs (black, yellow, chocolate),pugs, schnauzers, and bulldogs. Designer dogs- labradoodles (Lab/Poodle), puggles(Beagle/Pug) , cocapoos ( Cocker/Poodle) have become "in". They were created in an attempt to blend the advantages of the two breeds. For example in the case of the labradoodle they wanted the sturdiness and disposition of the lab with the intelligence and non-shedding coat of the poodle. I really believe the majority of dogs are selected by people because they like something about the dog, not for the image. When my kids were young I wanted a dog with a great disposition that was big- not big because this cast an image, big so my children couldn't break it.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    There can't be a better indication of shallowness, than someone who picks a dog, because of the dog's immage. However, after countless Princeton reunions, the dogs that I have observed in the Prade, are hundreds of goldens, labs of both colors, and an occassional neufie. Coincidence? Could be.
    I'll keep looking. This year there may be a number of dobermans and rotweilers with orange neck wear.
    I think it's more likely statistics than coincidence. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure that Labs are #1, and Goldens either #2 or #3. Having some familiarity with Labs, and been dad to a wonderful Golden, I can assure everyone that there are good reasons for both breeds' popularity. Goldens are beautiful dogs with an exceptional tempermant that makes them almost idiot-proof with kids. They are generally inteligent, and some very much so. And depending on the dog, they can be great athletes or field dogs. They do shed a lot, and unfortunately, genetic based illnesses are the norm. Mine was one of the best conversationalists I've ever encountered.

Country
    United States
    State
    Massachusetts
    City
    Boston

Talking

My lab is not much of a conversationalist,but she's a wonderful listener..and ,I can tell,usually will second any of my suggestions and agree with most of what I say.

Country
    United States
    State
    PA
    City
    Pittsburgh

Terriers are true trad...Wire Fox terriers (remember Asta in the "Thin Man" series?), Welsh, Irish, or Airedales. Highly intelligent, fiercely loyal, great with kids and non-shedding, Wire Fox terriers have won more Best in Show titles at Westminster than any other breed.

Last edited by swb120; August 5th, 2008 at 11:40.

Country
    United States
    State
    Ohio
    City
    Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by David V View Post
    If they buy a dog for it's social or fashion "points".
    And most do.

Quote Originally Posted by paul winston View Post
    Our Chipp2 company makes a range of products( ties, suspenders, wristwatches- all for people, not dogs) that feature pure breed dogs. For years the most popular breeds,as gaged by the products we sell, have been goldens , labs (black, yellow, chocolate),pugs, schnauzers, and bulldogs. Designer dogs- labradoodles (Lab/Poodle), puggles(Beagle/Pug) , cocapoos ( Cocker/Poodle) have become "in". They were created in an attempt to blend the advantages of the two breeds. For example in the case of the labradoodle they wanted the sturdiness and disposition of the lab with the intelligence and non-shedding coat of the poodle. I really believe the majority of dogs are selected by people because they like something about the dog, not for the image. When my kids were young I wanted a dog with a great disposition that was big- not big because this cast an image, big so my children couldn't break it.
    I have a labradoodle. She has a great disposition and she doesn't shed, but I'm going to have to say she is pretty dumb. But I love her dearly. We didn't pick her out b/c she is a "designer" breed either. We picked her b/c she was the only one of her litter that didn't know enough to pay attention to where she went to the bathroom. Shes one helluva dog.
    Pronunciation: \'lŁsh\ Function: adjective Etymology: French, literally, cross-eyed, squint-eyed, from Latin luscus blind in one eye Date: 1819 : not reputable or decent

Country
    United States
    State
    Ohio
    City
    Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by nolan50410 View Post
    English Bulldog. Mine is our child.
    My wife and I have owned 3 boxers over the last 17 years. We really love the bull breeds. But they're not for everyone.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Mexico
    City
    Albuquerque

Default Oh, I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron in Allentown View Post
    Eugenics stinks in any form.
    "Don't be a snob about the way you dress. Snobbery is only a point in time. Be tolerant and helpful to the other fellow ó he is yourself yesterday."
    -Cary Grant

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by The Louche View Post
    I have a labradoodle. She has a great disposition and she doesn't shed, but I'm going to have to say she is pretty dumb. But I love her dearly. We didn't pick her out b/c she is a "designer" breed either. We picked her b/c she was the only one of her litter that didn't know enough to pay attention to where she went to the bathroom. Shes one helluva dog.
    Smart Lab + smart Poodle = dumb Labradoodle? Huh? Are you certain she's not just too smart to let you know it? "We picked her b/c she was the only one of her litter that didn't know enough to pay attention to where she went to the bathroom." Huh? And your dog's dumb? When I do that my wife hits me with a rolled up newspaper! :icon_smile:

We have a Soft-Coated-Wheaten Terrier, and love him. He is very trad- he even has the fairly rare (more wiry) "Irish coat". My dog is also loyal, good with people, and has never shed on anything. I can spend time with him for 20-30 mins. in my good blazer, and not have a hair upon me.

Lab girl here! I didn't get my dog for any purpose other than I fell in love with him the second I met him ...while I love all dogs, I am more a fan of the big dogs - I feel a certain sense of security having him around...I know he would never pro actively hurt a fly, but if I was in trouble, I don't doubt for a second that he would come to my rescue...I never thought about people getting dogs for an "image", I simply thought people picked dogs based on what would fit into their lifestyle best (I prefer an activity dog to a purse dog)...

My dog isn't such a great conversationalist either, but he is a pretty decent listener and a great snuggler

Gimme a really ugly looking English bulldog with big ol' jowls over the designer dogs any day.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by TheWardrobeGirl View Post
    but if I was in trouble, I don't doubt for a second that he would come to my rescue...
    Good thing you don't have a Golden. If you were in trouble, he'd make friends with whomever you had trouble with. :icon_smile:

For serious attacker eating, try a Kuvasz or BRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanderian View Post
    Good thing you don't have a Golden. If you were in trouble, he'd make friends with whomever you had trouble with. :icon_smile:
    You would be surprised - I actually thought that about my dog for the longest time...he makes friends with everyone and anyone and a couple of years ago I thought someone was breaking into my house and instead of barking up a storm, he was huddled under the bed with me as I called 911 (turns out it was the wind that set off my security system)...fast forward to about a week or so ago, I was in a situation where a guy wouldn't leave me alone and my dog came to my rescue (he put himself between us, paced back and forth and wouldn't let the guy get near me...in 6 years, I have NEVER seen him act that way) - I think they sense when there is REAL trouble or potential real trouble and act accordingly - I have faith in my guy

Quote Originally Posted by swb120 View Post
    Terriers are true trad...Wire Fox terriers (remember Asta in the "Thin Man" series?), Welsh, Irish, or Airedales. Highly intelligent, fiercely loyal, great with kids and non-shedding, Wire Fox terriers have won more Best in Show titles at Westminster than any other breed.

I have a Welsh Terrier. He's terrific!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast