Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77

Thread: Trad dogs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    February 19th, 2005
    Posts
    1,716
    Country
    United States
    State
    Okla.
    City
    Nichols Hills

    Default Trad dogs?

    There can't be a better indication of shallowness, than someone who picks a dog, because of the dog's immage. However, after countless Princeton reunions, the dogs that I have observed in the Prade, are hundreds of goldens, labs of both colors, and an occassional neufie. Coincidence? Could be.
    I'll keep looking. This year there may be a number of dobermans and rotweilers with orange neck wear.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2007
    Posts
    1,666
    Country
    American Samoa
    State
    Region
    City
    Mandatory

    Default

    Well, well. Nothing wrong with it. You can't exactly go and interview the dog, can you? So you have to look at it? Or does your dog talk?



    Southern Proper. On the internet, nobody can tell if you are a dog, but they can tell if you are trad.
    Last edited by Bog; August 5th, 2008 at 18:45.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    November 8th, 2007
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Surely the best trad dog is an unwanted Mongrel (or a Heinz, to give it its proper name) rescued from an unwanted dog centre and thus displaying its owner's disregard of fashion and kind and generous nature?

    Strangely, I have just such a dog

  4. #4
    Join Date
    October 22nd, 2007
    Posts
    1,304
    Country
    Australia
    State
    ACT
    City
    Canberra

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Myerson View Post
    Surely the best trad dog is an unwanted Mongrel (or a Heinz, to give it its proper name) rescued from an unwanted dog centre and thus displaying its owner's disregard of fashion and kind and generous nature?

    Strangely, I have just such a dog
    I agree completely people who buy dogs for their fashion or social status are mentally defective IMHO. Our dog is a Labrador Stafodshire cross with a bit of Queensland Blue thrown in for good measure.

    Elmo, my son picked the name, had a bad start to life he was thrown over a mates fence but their dog who had just had a litter adopted and weaned him then we took him and he always has been great company. He used to be a very proficient body surfer till arthritis caused his retirement.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2006
    Posts
    1,200
    Country
    UK
    State
    SW1
    City
    London

    Default

    Trad or not Newfoundlands are great if you have the space and the climate. Our last dog was a Leonberger, a dog of a similar size and temperament to a Newfoundland and we would have another given the right conditions.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2008
    Posts
    526
    Country
    United States
    State
    Ohio
    City
    Cleveland

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajo View Post
    I agree completely people who buy dogs for their fashion or social status are mentally defective IMHO.
    So, what your saying is that 90% of all people are mentally defective!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2005
    Posts
    1,262
    Country
    United States
    State
    IL
    City
    Downers Grove

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
    So, what your saying is that 90% of all people are mentally defective!
    If they buy a dog for it's social or fashion "points".
    David

    Everything went to hell when we let California have its own pizza.

    "The great thing about the internet is everyone has access to it. The bad thing about the internet is that everyone has access to it." me

    "The Classic Style was developed, over time, by men who exhibited good taste and emulated by men who could recognize it." me

  8. #8
    Join Date
    October 22nd, 2007
    Posts
    1,304
    Country
    Australia
    State
    ACT
    City
    Canberra

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
    So, what your saying is that 90% of all people are mentally defective!
    Not at all, but dog breeds go through fashion cycles and are given as cute puppies who then grow up into lumbering hulks and are either abandoned or its off to the pound for 'Dead Dog Walking.' Sorry if you want a dog all well and good but be prepared to give them the time they require.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    1,436
    Country
    United States
    State
    new york
    City
    new york

    Default

    Our Chipp2 company makes a range of products( ties, suspenders, wristwatches- all for people, not dogs) that feature pure breed dogs. For years the most popular breeds,as gaged by the products we sell, have been goldens , labs (black, yellow, chocolate),pugs, schnauzers, and bulldogs. Designer dogs- labradoodles (Lab/Poodle), puggles(Beagle/Pug) , cocapoos ( Cocker/Poodle) have become "in". They were created in an attempt to blend the advantages of the two breeds. For example in the case of the labradoodle they wanted the sturdiness and disposition of the lab with the intelligence and non-shedding coat of the poodle. I really believe the majority of dogs are selected by people because they like something about the dog, not for the image. When my kids were young I wanted a dog with a great disposition that was big- not big because this cast an image, big so my children couldn't break it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2008
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul winston View Post
    Our Chipp2 company makes a range of products( ties, suspenders, wristwatches- all for people, not dogs) that feature pure breed dogs. For years the most popular breeds,as gaged by the products we sell, have been goldens , labs (black, yellow, chocolate),pugs, schnauzers, and bulldogs. Designer dogs- labradoodles (Lab/Poodle), puggles(Beagle/Pug) , cocapoos ( Cocker/Poodle) have become "in". They were created in an attempt to blend the advantages of the two breeds. For example in the case of the labradoodle they wanted the sturdiness and disposition of the lab with the intelligence and non-shedding coat of the poodle. I really believe the majority of dogs are selected by people because they like something about the dog, not for the image. When my kids were young I wanted a dog with a great disposition that was big- not big because this cast an image, big so my children couldn't break it.
    I have a labradoodle. She has a great disposition and she doesn't shed, but I'm going to have to say she is pretty dumb. But I love her dearly. We didn't pick her out b/c she is a "designer" breed either. We picked her b/c she was the only one of her litter that didn't know enough to pay attention to where she went to the bathroom. Shes one helluva dog.
    Pronunciation: \'lŁsh\ Function: adjective Etymology: French, literally, cross-eyed, squint-eyed, from Latin luscus blind in one eye Date: 1819 : not reputable or decent

  11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
  12. #11
    Join Date
    April 30th, 2008
    Posts
    14,813
    Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Louche View Post
    I have a labradoodle. She has a great disposition and she doesn't shed, but I'm going to have to say she is pretty dumb. But I love her dearly. We didn't pick her out b/c she is a "designer" breed either. We picked her b/c she was the only one of her litter that didn't know enough to pay attention to where she went to the bathroom. Shes one helluva dog.
    Smart Lab + smart Poodle = dumb Labradoodle? Huh? Are you certain she's not just too smart to let you know it? "We picked her b/c she was the only one of her litter that didn't know enough to pay attention to where she went to the bathroom." Huh? And your dog's dumb? When I do that my wife hits me with a rolled up newspaper! :icon_smile:

  13. #12
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2007
    Posts
    195

    Default

    We have a Soft-Coated-Wheaten Terrier, and love him. He is very trad- he even has the fairly rare (more wiry) "Irish coat". My dog is also loyal, good with people, and has never shed on anything. I can spend time with him for 20-30 mins. in my good blazer, and not have a hair upon me.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    March 24th, 2008
    Posts
    914

    Default

    Lab girl here! I didn't get my dog for any purpose other than I fell in love with him the second I met him ...while I love all dogs, I am more a fan of the big dogs - I feel a certain sense of security having him around...I know he would never pro actively hurt a fly, but if I was in trouble, I don't doubt for a second that he would come to my rescue...I never thought about people getting dogs for an "image", I simply thought people picked dogs based on what would fit into their lifestyle best (I prefer an activity dog to a purse dog)...

    My dog isn't such a great conversationalist either, but he is a pretty decent listener and a great snuggler

  15. #14
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    1,436
    Country
    United States
    State
    new york
    City
    new york

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Louche View Post
    I have a labradoodle. She has a great disposition and she doesn't shed, but I'm going to have to say she is pretty dumb. But I love her dearly. We didn't pick her out b/c she is a "designer" breed either. We picked her b/c she was the only one of her litter that didn't know enough to pay attention to where she went to the bathroom. Shes one helluva dog.
    It takes many generations of selective breeding to "create" a breed. The labradoodle isn't there yet. Just as children of the same mother and father will not be genetically gifted with the same intelligence, your beloved dog may not be as intelligent as it's litter mates. This obviously did not make her less lovable.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2007
    Posts
    1,666
    Country
    American Samoa
    State
    Region
    City
    Mandatory

    Default

    A Treatise on Good Manners and Good Breeding

    Jonathan Swift

    GOOD manners is the art of making those people easy with whom we converse.

    Whoever makes the fewest persons uneasy is the best bred in the company.

    As the best law is founded upon reason, so are the best manners. And as some lawyers have introduced unreasonable things into common law, so likewise many teachers have introduced absurd things into common good manners.

    One principal point of this art is to suit our behaviour to the three several degrees of men; our superiors, our equals, and those below us.

    For instance, to press either of the two former to eat or drink is a breach of manners; but a farmer or a tradesman must be thus treated, or else it will be difficult to persuade them that they are welcome.

    http://www.bartleby.com/27/9.html

  17. #16
    Join Date
    April 30th, 2008
    Posts
    14,813
    Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    There can't be a better indication of shallowness, than someone who picks a dog, because of the dog's immage. However, after countless Princeton reunions, the dogs that I have observed in the Prade, are hundreds of goldens, labs of both colors, and an occassional neufie. Coincidence? Could be.
    I'll keep looking. This year there may be a number of dobermans and rotweilers with orange neck wear.
    I think it's more likely statistics than coincidence. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure that Labs are #1, and Goldens either #2 or #3. Having some familiarity with Labs, and been dad to a wonderful Golden, I can assure everyone that there are good reasons for both breeds' popularity. Goldens are beautiful dogs with an exceptional tempermant that makes them almost idiot-proof with kids. They are generally inteligent, and some very much so. And depending on the dog, they can be great athletes or field dogs. They do shed a lot, and unfortunately, genetic based illnesses are the norm. Mine was one of the best conversationalists I've ever encountered.

  18. #17
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    232
    Country
    United States
    State
    Massachusetts
    City
    Boston

    Talking

    My lab is not much of a conversationalist,but she's a wonderful listener..and ,I can tell,usually will second any of my suggestions and agree with most of what I say.

  19. #18
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2005
    Posts
    1,171
    Country
    United States
    State
    PA
    City
    Pittsburgh

    Default

    Terriers are true trad...Wire Fox terriers (remember Asta in the "Thin Man" series?), Welsh, Irish, or Airedales. Highly intelligent, fiercely loyal, great with kids and non-shedding, Wire Fox terriers have won more Best in Show titles at Westminster than any other breed.

    Last edited by swb120; August 5th, 2008 at 11:40.

  20. #19
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2007
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swb120 View Post
    Terriers are true trad...Wire Fox terriers (remember Asta in the "Thin Man" series?), Welsh, Irish, or Airedales. Highly intelligent, fiercely loyal, great with kids and non-shedding, Wire Fox terriers have won more Best in Show titles at Westminster than any other breed.

    I have a Welsh Terrier. He's terrific!!!

  21. #20
    Join Date
    April 10th, 2005
    Posts
    4,151

    Default

    The original post in this thread is more than three years old. Seeing it bumped in the fashion forum made me misty for the old days.

  22. #21
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    154
    Country
    United States
    State
    Washington
    City
    Vancouver

    Default

    I think any dog you love is the right one. For me personally it's my 3 yr old german shorthair pointer who is faithful, will run all day long, sleeps as well, is curious and always wants to know what you're up to.
    jrandyv
    Portland, Oregon

  23. #22
    Join Date
    November 10th, 2005
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Only the ancient breeds if you please. My favorite is know in the USA as the Anatolian Shepherd Dog:


  24. #23
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2009
    Posts
    152
    Country
    United States
    State
    FarNorCal
    City
    Red Bluff

    Default

    My Catahoula is on his last legs and I was curious what everyone else on here had. I will get my kids another Cataloula. I hope it becomes a family tradition for generations to come.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Cur

  25. #24
    Join Date
    February 26th, 2009
    Posts
    6,790

    Default

    Four, count 'em, four longhair standard dachshunds reside at Cuffwood Estate.

  26. #25
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2009
    Posts
    136
    Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Rochester

    Default

    Had a lot of dogs in my life but my current one is special and not just as a hunter. Hate to think of him crossing the rainbow bridge but it happens, and way too soon. Where ever that bridge goes I want to go too when it is all said and done.

    He's a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever here as a pup, he is now 8. Kept getting under foot while I was reloading so I put him up on the bench in an old keg of Red Dot gunpowder.




    dba I'd highly recommend not getting into a drinking contest with those RN Officers (or enlisted men) when you go, trust me. My head still hurts just thinking about it LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Old dogs, new tricks.
    By taylorgtr in forum Andy's Fashion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: September 16th, 2013, 04:25
  2. PSA Shaggy Dogs 40% Off
    By Starch in forum Andy's Trad Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: March 21st, 2012, 17:42
  3. Shaggy Dogs are now $165
    By JakeLA in forum Andy's Trad Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 18th, 2010, 23:17
  4. Loake Mad Dogs
    By FlatSix in forum Andy's Fashion Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 28th, 2006, 14:59
  5. Paul Fussell: Trad Dogs, and Trad Pets In General
    By Nathan Detroit in forum Andy's Trad Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 27th, 2006, 19:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •