Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    Harrison

Default Looking for (2) pairs of versatile shoes for a business casual office...

i am thinking a PTB and a Chukka

thoughts on these two and advice on decent brands that won't break the bank?

does AE have a decent PTB? anyone else?

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

I like the idea of a chukka but why a PTB? Why not a short of long wing blucher?

Practical doesn't have to mean boring.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

AE's Leeds design is an excellent choice for a PTB. They also offer chukka boot designs that can frequently be found on sale! Good luck in your hunt.

Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Corpus Christi

Massdrop is doing an Allen Edmonds unlined Chukka that looks really nice, for a great price!
    Last edited by Dmontez; June 19th, 2017 at 12:45.

Country
    United States
    State
    Connecticut
    City
    Vernon

Monk straps?
    There is no feeling quite like the feeling that one is well dressed.

Country
    United States
    State
    NC
    City
    Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by SG_67 View Post
    I like the idea of a chukka but why a PTB? Why not a short of long wing blucher?

Agreed, if I were to purchase a PTB, it would have to be the AE Leeds suede offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Very fine quality, $309 Ex-VAT

https://www.pediwear.co.uk/sanders/products/5866.php

Take a walk on the wild side. More casual construction $208 Ex-VAT.

https://www.pediwear.co.uk/sanders/products/5028.php

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Flanderian View Post
    Very fine quality, $309 Ex-VAT

https://www.pediwear.co.uk/sanders/products/5866.php

Take a walk on the wild side. More casual construction $208 Ex-VAT.

https://www.pediwear.co.uk/sanders/products/5028.php

would both work in business casual?

also, why sanders and not something like trickers, barker, loake 1880? do you prefer sanders to them?

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSharp24 View Post

also, why sanders and not something like trickers, barker, loake 1880? do you prefer sanders to them?

??????
    You're an active member for over 4 years. I've read your posts. ???? You're asking FLANDERIAN if he prefers Sanders and Sanders????

Is the Pope Catholic?
    You can never have too many shoes.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

I'm pre-business casual, so I guess the answer to whether they would work in business casual depends upon your interpretation of it. I know they would work an any I might construe. Both are entirely suitable for wear with anything from khakis to sport jackets and dress slacks. Sanders makes a very nicely finished shoe.

Trickers is substantially more, and while obviously a fine shoe, many feel it may be somewhat overpriced for what it is. I haven't bought Barker or Loake 1880 recently. I know and trust Sanders. They make a quality, comfortable shoe that is an outstanding value, and I know that each shoe is made entirely in Rushton, Northamptonshire. Barker has some nice looking shoes, and some strange looking shoes. Some are obviously off-shore, and I had read some time ago that much of the content even of those labeled made in England, may not be. Evidently Loake's 1880 is, and I know Shaver loves them. I have no reason to think they're not a decent shoe, and the also offer good value. But I generally prefer the look of Sanders.

If you like any of the Barker or 1880 shoes, I won't try to talk you out of it, but I don't have a comfort level with them, and I've been very pleased with Sanders. And from friend momsdoc, I have little reason to doubt his assertion that both Carmina and Yanko offer very fine quality and value for quality also.

See below -

Quote Originally Posted by momsdoc View Post
    ??????
    You're an active member for over 4 years. I've read your posts. ???? You're asking FLANDERIAN if he prefers Sanders and Sanders????

Is the Pope Catholic?

Edit: Oh! And Sanders makes the dress shoes for the Royal Navy.

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Flanderian View Post
    I'm pre-business casual, so I guess the answer to whether they would work in business casual depends upon your interpretation of it. I know they would work an any I might construe. Both are entirely suitable for wear with anything from khakis to sport jackets and dress slacks. Sanders makes a very nicely finished shoe.

Trickers is substantially more, and while obviously a fine shoe, many feel it may be somewhat overpriced for what it is. I haven't bought Barker or Loake 1880 recently. I know and trust Sanders. They make a quality, comfortable shoe that is an outstanding value, and I know that each shoe is made entirely in Rushton, Northamptonshire. Barker has some nice looking shoes, and some strange looking shoes. Some are obviously off-shore, and I had read some time ago that much of the content even of those labeled made in England, may not be. Evidently Loake's 1880 is, and I know Shaver loves them. I have no reason to think they're not a decent shoe, and the also offer good value. But I generally prefer the look of Sanders.

If you like any of the Barker or 1880 shoes, I won't try to talk you out of it, but I don't have a comfort level with them, and I've been very pleased with Sanders. And from friend momsdoc, I have little reason to doubt his assertion that both Carmina and Yanko offer very fine quality and value for quality also.

See below -

Edit: Oh! And Sanders makes the dress shoes for the Royal Navy.
    awesome explanation and you've convinced me to hone in on Sanders.

though i am also going to give Herring and Heschung a look too (any additional knowledge on these guys?)

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

awesome explanation and you've convinced me to hone in on Sanders.

though i am also going to give Herring and Heschung a look too (any additional knowledge on these guys?)
    While I've yet to order through them, from all accounts, and there have been many, Herring is a fine quality retailer that offers good value in a wide variety of footwear from various, mostly English, makers. I'm sorry, but I know nothing of Heschung.

Again I emphasize there are many possible good choices, I've just found a comfort spot with Sanders. But yet, both a pair of shoes I've ordered, and a pair of boots I'm contemplating are not Sanders. The first being Rancourt and the second Meermin.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Saskatchewan
    City
    Regina

Quote Originally Posted by SG_67 View Post

PTB doesn't necessarily mean boring. Leeds in tan or merlot/oxblood would look great and not boring at all. Here is another one from Grant Stone in a darker CXL leather, and another in tan.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2250 View Post
    AE's Leeds design is an excellent choice for a PTB. They also offer chukka boot designs that can frequently be found on sale! Good luck in your hunt.
    Which is why I'm frustrated at AE offering bad looking designs and dropping their nicer looking shoes. I haven't seen the regular Leeds on the website for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmontez View Post
    Massdrop is doing an Allen Edmonds unlined Chukka that looks really nice, for a great price!
    I've heard about this one, and apparently it's really comfortable too.

OP, also check out this thread, it's relevant to what you're looking for. As to the UK shoes, also take a look at Cheaney, they love using grained leather.

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...-Stone-Blucher
    Last edited by delicious_scent; June 23rd, 2017 at 10:08.