Country
    United States
    State
    Tennessee
    City
    Sparta

Default Learning From Our Sartorial Mistakes

Among those of us who have been dressing Trad for a number of years, how have your tastes narrowed?

Perhaps you invested early in a GTH piece you didn't get much use from. Or maybe you can't pull yourself away from your loafers enough to justify what you spent on those desert boots.

I think style can be as much about our failed experiments as our successful ones. Post your most memorable here.

Mine has to be the pink oxford. Some of you make it look great, but on me (perhaps because I look young for my age) it just appears juvenile. As a result it hangs in my closet waiting for a day I feel adventurous enough to wear it again.
    χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά. Beauty is harsh.

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    Atlanta

"Trad" is just the way I grew up dressing (I never really imagined any other way, as everyone I grew up with did as well), so simply being "trad" throughout, say, the teen years assures that I've made every kind of blunder imaginable.

I would actually say my tastes have NOT narrowed, and that while my "core" is Trad, I gladly deviate from it more and more.

My worst blunder in recent years actually comes from learning about Trad on AAAC, and falling into compliance with some of the sillier, more cartoonish versions of Trad, like negative break (or whatever it's called). I have a few pairs of Bill's khakis with huge (maybe 2") cuffs and no break, and they look completely idiotic. My wife photographed me from behind when I was walking, and it looks positively clownish; I retired all those trousers immediately.

The other - again, from early experiments in Trad purity - terrible blunder would be wearing All the Trad, All at Once, just being a walking catalog of Bill's khakis, and OCBD, Weejuns, the whole kit, and even worse, all new.

Never, ever wear an ensemble of all-new clothes.

Now, I'm back to a more authentic, naturalistic "trad" (I think we called it "preppy" in the 80s).

DH
    Last edited by Dhaller; June 16th, 2017 at 21:30.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Given the seemingly broadly based and continuing critical reactions/comments experienced when I change my eyeglass frames, that must have been my greatest sartorial faux pas. Having worn absolutely nothing other than aviator frames, initially issued by the USAF, for my sunglasses and eventually my prescription lenses all of my adult life, influenced by several of our AAAC members words of encouragement, I boldly went out and purchased an incredibly handsome pair of Anglo American Optical #406 frames in dark tortoiseshell.

The condemnation of my adoring public began with the first wearing and continued incessantly! LOL, my beloved Randolph Engineering Aviators were restored to their rightful place on the bridge of my nose and the #406's are reserved fro reading, only in the privacy of my study!

Country
    United States
    State
    Tennessee
    City
    Sparta

Excellent insights, gentlemen. Dhaller, I especially enjoyed how you marked the line between what you grew up wearing authentically and what has been created from nostalgia here, albeit from good intentions. And yes--there is just something wrong about wearing all new trad clothing.

Eagle, I didn't go so far as to invest in Anglo American 406's, but I did purchase the Ralph Lauren 2083's. There were a few comments when I switched to them, but they have actually become a treasured part of my identity since then. You do have to know what works for you, though.
    χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά. Beauty is harsh.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    NY

I can't do loud sport coats - big patterns, multiple colors, etc. - even though there are plenty of them in the trad canon. I wasted several thousands of dollars many years ago over several years trying/believing they'd work for me, but finally accepted that they don't, so they're out of my wardrobe - lesson learned.
    Last edited by Fading Fast; June 17th, 2017 at 09:44.

Country
    United States
    State
    North Carolina
    City
    Charlotte

I was lucky in that respect, as I was warned off of GTH stuff back in college by a girlfriend. She said to always ask myself what people would comment when they saw me wearing any particular item a second or third time: well dressed, or "THAT thing again?"?
    Jack Floyd
    I remain mystified

Country
    United States
    State
    Connecticut
    City
    Lakeville

Spectator shoes. I bought several pairs. And there they sit -- alone, in the dark closet.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

^^An excellent point, Patrick06790!

At best, my Spectators get worn perhaps two to three times per year. In the past year, I wore them once.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    NY

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2250 View Post
    ^^An excellent point, Patrick06790!

At best, my Spectators get worn perhaps two to three times per year. In the past year, I wore them once.
    I have several things like that - spectators being one of them - that only come out a few times a year, but I'm not sure I think of them as a mistake as I love them when I wear them, my life just doesn't provide many opportunities for me to do so.

That's different than things that - like the loud-ish sport coats I noted above - simply don't work for me in that I don't look good in them and don't enjoy wearing them. I love wearing my spectators, just don't have a lot of call for them. Same with my seersucker suit - love it, but am lucky if I wear it once a year.
    Last edited by Fading Fast; June 19th, 2017 at 09:02.

Country
    United States
    State
    West
    City
    A valley along a canyon

I have a certain comfort zone (khakis, ocbd, boat shoes or desert boots). When I stray from that, it's a mistake. I do have some "field" clothing (think Orvis/park ranger) that I'm also quite comfortable wearing on my many regional travels (I own a camping van).

The whole "trad" thing is something made up by a long ago poster here and has become an internet thing. A lot of us have dressed this way for years (although I went through a hippie phase for a few years in the late 60's - early 70's). It's essentially a WASP, prep school, ivy league, old money way of dress and hasn't changed much over the decades. While I spent my formative years in Southern California, it was pretty much the style of dress in the schools I attended due to their dress codes.

The sartorial mistakes I've made have been in straying from "the uniform". BTW, I wear solid pink and the pinkish red uni stripe BB shirts regularly along with white, ecru, yellow, blue, and blue uni stripe ocbd shirts.

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    Canada
    State
    Manitoba
    City
    Winnipeg

I too have a pair of spectators which have seen the light of day only once. If I lived in the southern US I might be able to justify wearing them more often, but up here in Canada no one wears seersucker or spectators and when I put those bad boys on I begin attracting far more attention than I desire, and not all of it positive. Eventually I'll get around to reselling them on ebay.

Another failed experiment of mine is v-neck sweaters. I know some love them, but for me I'd take an ocbd and crew neck any day. I wear a sweater in the cold, so why have a sweater with less frontal coverage to allow heat to escape? Sure, you could easily say they're intended for use with a tie, which is true, but if I'm wearing a tie I'm almost always wearing a blazer or tweed sportcoat instead. I gave my single O'Connell's v-neck sweater to a friend after wearing it only once this past year, and will be keeping my half-dozen crewnecks.

Finally my purple stripe OCBD. Nothing I ever pair it with seems like the ideal combination, and I have a sneaking suspicion that purple just isn't a good color for me.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Garden Grove

I once wore a bow tie with a contrast collar shirt (white collar/cuffs, patterned shirt). Looked awful! Long ties are definitely the better option for these shirts.

Country
    United States
    State
    Ohio
    City
    Main Street USA

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post

The whole "trad" thing is something made up by a long ago poster here and has become an internet thing. A lot of us have dressed this way for years (although I went through a hippie phase for a few years in the late 60's - early 70's). It's essentially a WASP, prep school, ivy league, old money way of dress and hasn't changed much over the decades.
    The internet may have coined the term, but it certainly did not invent "trad," but it did play a large role in forming what is "trad."
    Last edited by oxford cloth button down; June 19th, 2017 at 19:01.
    Hidden Content
    More of a Traditional
    &
    Less of a Preppy Blog

Country
    United States
    State
    ct
    City
    west haven

I grew up mere blocks from J Press in New Haven and have been using them a my style guide since 1st year high school. I did stray into forward pleated pants in the early Polo days and still wear them on occasions.
    You can't have too many pairs of yellow socks.

Country
    United States
    State
    WA
    City
    Bellingham

Not much if at all a trad person but, the developing philosophy is interesting.

Seersucker is not part of Canada. But, it can be introduced. After all it is not the many negative thoughts people say at the beginning that counts but, what it becomes later that matters. Even in Canada it can fit. Seersucker is more relaxed but, not to casual.

How many children feel comfortable in their school clothes the first time they put them on and look in the mirror? They don't really have a choice, do they? After a while their personalities adapt, and then, they truly fit in, and the style becomes part of them. I had a shirt, strange color, that took years for the change. I kept it around as a study. It took much longer than others. I find that it is not what people think and say at the beginning is important but, what they think and say at the end, that is important.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    NY

Quote Originally Posted by oxford cloth button down View Post
    The internet may have coined the term, but it certainly did not invent "trad," but it did play a large role in forming what is "trad."
    This is a very good point. Many times, a "movement," a style, a period will only be named and fully debated and dissected after its heyday.

This doesn't make it any less legitimate as a way of analyzing / discussing the period. So, sure, no-one was calling "trad" clothing "trad" when it was the dominate clothing style, but neither, for example, was anyone calling the original Superman and Batman comics "classic" comic books back when they were first written. We needed time to pass to see those books (and trad clothing) in the greater context of their respective genres.

A period / movement almost has to first end and, then, some time has to pass for the "period" to be seen in its entirety / for its impact to be assessed / for its parameters to be defined.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Manitoba
    City
    Winnipeg

Quote Originally Posted by WA View Post
    Not much if at all a trad person but, the developing philosophy is interesting.

Seersucker is not part of Canada. But, it can be introduced. After all it is not the many negative thoughts people say at the beginning that counts but, what it becomes later that matters. Even in Canada it can fit. Seersucker is more relaxed but, not to casual.
    True enough. I suppose I should have specified a complete, traditional seersucker suit rather than just 'seersucker' in general.

I actually have and do regularly wear a checked-pattern J.Press seersucker sportcoat during the summer, and regret getting rid of the seersucker pants that went with the suit when I sold it off. But a complete, thin blue-stripped seersucker suit just stands out far too much like a costume up in Canada. The same goes for the spectators, and combining the two up here is a surefire way to comments like "Hey Colonel, you make some good fried chicken!"