Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Default Leatherfoot Store in Toronto - Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on this store? I don't find their mark-up on clothing to be excessive and they are always very nice and polite when I am in there browsing or trying on ties. I can't imagine rent must be cheap and they have a full time "master tailor" and a lot of staff...must be expensive.

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

You might try a search here on the retailer's name. If my memory is correct, esteemed member RogerP had purchased from them, and thought highly of them.

Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Corpus Christi

I've got a thread devoted to my year long debacle of a purchase.

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...chase-conundrm

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Dmontez View Post

Wow...Just...Wow...I read the entire "saga" and to me it sounds like LF is a business where the owner doesn't delegate adequate responsibilities to his staff yet is not present enough to run the business so the entire operation is on auto-pilot headed headed off a cliff. You can easily tell that the house that they rent/own space in costs in the millions and they have *far* too many full-time staff (ranging from graphic designers, seamstress'/tailors, "operations")...it's a bit much.

However, when I go in there they are very polite. An amusing note is that it seems like a lot of the big euro tie makers (like E.G. Cappelli and Viola Milano) send them stock which they themselves have trouble selling. For example, 3.5-3.75" wide ties, fabrics/construction that more resemble a scarf than a tie, over the top madder, the list goes on. It also seems like they can't move inventory, which also makes sense why they no longer have a business relationship with St. Crispins and are now selling Alden and Crockett and Jones.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Dmontez View Post

Wow...just...wow...I read the entire "saga" and to me it sounds like Leather Foot is a business where the owner doesn't delegate adequate responsibilities to his staff yet is not present enough to run the business - the entire operation is on auto-pilot headed headed off a cliff! You can easily tell that the house that they rent/own space in costs in the millions and they have *far* too many full-time staff (ranging from graphic designers, seamstress'/tailors, "operations people")...it's a bit much.

However, when I go in there they are very polite. An amusing note is that it seems like a lot of the big euro tie makers (like E.G. Cappelli and Viola Milano) send them stock which they themselves would have trouble selling. For example, 3.5-3.75" wide ties, fabrics/construction that more resemble a scarf than a tie and would only work in a very hot climate, over the top madder, the list goes on. It also seems like they can't move inventory, which also makes sense why they no longer have a business relationship with St. Crispins and are now selling Alden and Crockett and Jones.

Country
    Canada
    State
    ON
    City
    Oakville

Quote Originally Posted by Flanderian View Post
    You might try a search here on the retailer's name. If my memory is correct, esteemed member RogerP had purchased from them, and thought highly of them.
    They have a pair of Alden unlined suede chukkas that are calling my name at present. I missed out on a recent 20% discount offer for past customers - just too busy to get to the store,

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
    They have a pair of Alden unlined suede chukkas that are calling my name at present. I missed out on a recent 20% discount offer for past customers - just too busy to get to the store,
    For the record, I don't recall you having any difficulty in your dealings with them, did you?

Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Corpus Christi

Quote Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
    I don't want to talk you out of a purchase, but you have the saint Cristin's suede chukkas, although they aren't unlined can you see yourself reaching for the Alden's over the Crispins?

Country
    Canada
    State
    ON
    City
    Oakville

Quote Originally Posted by Flanderian View Post
    For the record, I don't recall you having any difficulty in your dealings with them, did you?
    No problems over multiple purchases over many years.

As to the Alden unlined suede chukka - it's a far more casual option than the St. C. calf pair that I own - no real overlap, in my view.

Country
    United States
    State
    North Carolina
    City
    Greensboro

Having read both Dmontez and RogerP posts about the place I would restrict my dealings with them to buying items they have on hand in the store itself. It would take a very long time to rebuild trust if I had gone through that St.C order that way.