Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Pleasanton

The store probably got tired of dealing with returns and exchanges due to QC issues.

Country
    United States
    State
    OR
    City
    Portland

I haven't bought any AE shoes at Nordstroms in a long time. The last few times, I've bought at an AE store or online (and there isn't an AE store in my town).

The selection at Nordstroms was never all that great, so aside from picking up a pair of Park Avenues once in a while, it just didn't make sense.

Country
    United States
    State
    wisconsin
    City
    port washington

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
    I don't know if this is general knowledge, but a Nordstrom shoe department manager told me that Nordstrom is cutting Allen Edmonds.

I'm disappointed because Nordstrom is the only store near me that sells them and because of Nordstrom's fantastic customer service.
    Greetings AAAC -

The rumors of our demise at Nordstrom are greatlyexaggerated. Our long-time partner hasdecided to concentrate the number of brick & mortar stores that carry AE,as they’re finding that some or their suburban stores just don’t attract enoughof our kind of customer these days to justify the shelf space on the floor andin the back room inventory.The channelconflict with our own 75 AE stores across the country (80 by this fall), andespecially our e-commerce business, has had some effect on that traffic, but it’smainly about the burgeoning men’s fashion trends toward sneakers.There have also been several new “ersatz dress”/correctedgrain/synthetic sole/China-made shoes at less than $200 that seem to be workingwith younger customers these days.We’llsee how long those trends last, but higher quality classic dress shoes as acategory were down double digits last year.Ironically, our own calfskin dress shoe business is up significantly, which indcateswhy we need to be in control of our own destiny with our own direct channels.We’rehopeful that our new parent company’s strong relationship with Nordstrom, andsome trendier and accessible new products that we’re introducing this fall,will help us gain back shelf space.You’llsee more new products in those stores that do carry AE starting in July, and we’llbe well represented again in the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale.

Best wishes,

Paul

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by AllenEdmondsCEO View Post
    Greetings AAAC -

The rumors of our demise at Nordstrom are greatlyexaggerated. Our long-time partner hasdecided to concentrate the number of brick & mortar stores that carry AE,as they’re finding that some or their suburban stores just don’t attract enoughof our kind of customer these days to justify the shelf space on the floor andin the back room inventory.The channelconflict with our own 75 AE stores across the country (80 by this fall), andespecially our e-commerce business, has had some effect on that traffic, but it’smainly about the burgeoning men’s fashion trends toward sneakers.There have also been several new “ersatz dress”/correctedgrain/synthetic sole/China-made shoes at less than $200 that seem to be workingwith younger customers these days.We’llsee how long those trends last, but higher quality classic dress shoes as acategory were down double digits last year.Ironically, our own calfskin dress shoe business is up significantly, which indcateswhy we need to be in control of our own destiny with our own direct channels.We’rehopeful that our new parent company’s strong relationship with Nordstrom, andsome trendier and accessible new products that we’re introducing this fall,will help us gain back shelf space.You’llsee more new products in those stores that do carry AE starting in July, and we’llbe well represented again in the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale.

Best wishes,

Paul
    Thanks Paul, now I want to hear from Nordstrom's CEO.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Los Angeles

One has to appreciate getting such direct info. Thanks, Paul.

Country
    United States
    State
    Idaho
    City
    Post Falls

Greetings AAAC -

Best wishes,

Paul
    Thank you sir. We appreciate you taking the time to enlighten us all. I was hoping to get a response like this and am glad we did.

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia, USA
    City
    Atlanta

Greetings AAAC -

Best wishes,

Paul
    I bought my first pair of AE's about 16 years ago and have been buying them, almost exclusively, ever since. While the quality of the shoe remains very good, it is the quality of the company - as demonstrated by Paul's post - that makes it so very easy to support AE. Regardless of market trends, I hope that is a trait that never goes away. Thanks so much, Paul.
    "Mayhap perchance, foppish that I am, I might be the Scarlet Pumpernickel?" (Daffy Duck, masquerading as a gentleman)

Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Fort Worth

What a great resource these forums are when we can have such input directly from the source. Thank you Paul for taking time out of what I am sure is a busy schedule. And thank you Andy for making this possible.
    "He was an athletic-looking six foot, dressed in the sort of casually well-cut beige herringbone-bone tweed that suggests Anderson and Sheppard. He wore a white silk shirt and a dark red polka-dot tie, and the soft dark brown V-necked sweater looked like vicuna." Ian Fleming

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Coram

Greetings AAAC -

Best wishes,

Paul
    I heard there's a new Allen Edmonds store in Roosevelt Field in Garden City, New York. Is this true? There's also a Nordstrom is this mall.

Is the Roosevelt Field Nordstrom going to stop carrying Allen Edmonds? Also, is Murlee's in Lynbrook going to stop carrying AE?

I hope the AE store in Tanger Mall in Riverhead, New York remains open as I live about 16 miles away from it.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    San Jose

For me, AE has been the only shoe brand worth even looking at in Nordstrom. Actually, it was at Nordstrom that I was first introduced to AE. If my local Nordstrom stops carrying AE, I won't even go to the men's shoe department because as Paul said, it's made up mainly of sneakers and cheaply made dress shoes.

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

^ it depends on the Nordstrom.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC View Post
    I heard there's a new Allen Edmonds store in Roosevelt Field in Garden City, New York. Is this true?
    Uncle Google says there is. It's located on the upper wing of the Nieman Marcus section.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Coram

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Dana View Post
    Uncle Google says there is. It's located on the upper wing of the Neiman Marcus section.
    Excellent. In the event that I get a job in Nassau County, New York, I will have to move there as soon as possible so I'm close to work.

It's a shame that Nordstrom is moving downmarket. I wonder if all of the surviving high end stores will do that, unless they have their own line that is made to measure only with all of the customization of bespoke from a tailor except for the following: baste fittings, being able to choose from every fabric, hide and other material in existence, and, in some cases, quantity of hand work. Examples of high end stores that have these brands of their own that are made to measure only are J. Michaels (Manhasset), Murlee's (Lynbrook) and Victor Talbots (Greenvale); all three of these stores are in Nassau County.
    Last edited by Audi S5 TC; May 19th, 2017 at 14:30.

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

^ I wouldn't say they've moved down market. Just a different market.

Perhaps their customers just aren't buying AE. Perhaps the margins aren't as good. One can always tell what sells and what they're pushing based on shelf space. Prada, Gucci, SF; that's what's selling. Magnanni and To Boot NY as well are offered in a wide variety. I'm not suggesting that I'm a fan, just that this seems to be what they're carrying.

Nordstrom also carried Ermenegildo Zegna, Isaia as well as Samuelsohn so say what you will about those brands, they're certainly not down market.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    SF

The last time I checked out the shoes at Nordstrom, the first thing I noticed were the $400 Common Projects sneakers on the table right up front.

They look like this:

http://commonprojects.com/index_man.html
    Last edited by Fraser Tartan; May 20th, 2017 at 13:45.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Coram

Quote Originally Posted by SG_67 View Post

Perhaps their customers just aren't buying AE. Perhaps the margins aren't as good. One can always tell what sells and what they're pushing based on shelf space. Prada, Gucci, SF; that's what's selling. Magnanni and To Boot NY as well are offered in a wide variety. I'm not suggesting that I'm a fan, just that this seems to be what they're carrying.

Nordstrom also carried Ermenegildo Zegna, Isaia as well as Samuelsohn so say what you will about those brands, they're certainly not down market.
    Nordstrom isn't carrying Isaia and Zegna anymore. Some Nordstroms still carry Canali and Samuesohn, but that seems to be going away, too.

Yes, I know that Canali, Isaia, Samuelshohn and Zegna are upmarket brands.

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

^ When was the last time you were in a Nordstrom?

The Nordstrom here carry those brands. Unless they were pulled just in the past few hours.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Coram

^ When was the last time you were in a Nordstrom?

The Nordstrom here carry those brands. Unless they were pulled just in the past few hours.
    Okay, I stand corrected.

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

They definitely push Magnanni and To Boot. I like Magnanni, for $300 I find them very stylish. Quality is ok, nothing amazing. To Boot is lesser quality.

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

^ Neiman Marcus/Bergdorf Goodman uses Magnanni for their house branded shoes. I don't own any but I do see them everywhere. They seem to run the gamut from fashion forward to somewhat more classic. If I were building out a basic rotation, I would be inclined to give them a try.

As for To Boot, I agree they don't really represent value at retail. I will say this though; years ago I purchased a pair of snuff suede chukka boots and they wore very, very well! It's safe to say that I did not take care of them as I should have and thoroughly abused them. They were soaked through twice. Despite all this, they held up quite well.

Country
    United States
    State
    FL
    City
    West Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser Tartan View Post
    The last time I checked out the shoes at Nordstrom, the first thing I noticed were the $400 Common Projects sneakers on the table right up front.

They look like this:

http://commonprojects.com/index_man.html
    This is more to the heart of the issue. As Paul said, the trend in men's footwear toward "dressy" sneakers (yes, I know, an oxymoron) is certainly having an affect on the sales mix.

Country
    United States
    State
    TN
    City
    Nashville

Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    Seriously, though, my local men's haberdasher recently dropped the AE line because he was tired of competing with AE itself, as it has aggressively expanded its retail business (online, AE stores, Shoebank) to the detriment of its wholesale customers.
    This is a serious problem with a lot of brands. The internet has allowed wholesalers to become retailers, and many have taken advantage. But it creates a terrible dynamic between the old retailers and the manufacturer itself. Really the consumer winds up losing, because the dynamic leads to the products disappearing from retailer networks that are more extensive than the manufacturer's brick-and-mortar presence, so consumers lose the ability to see the products in person, even if they can order them online more easily than ever.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Titus_A View Post
    This is a serious problem with a lot of brands. The internet has allowed wholesalers to become retailers, and many have taken advantage. But it creates a terrible dynamic between the old retailers and the manufacturer itself. Really the consumer winds up losing, because the dynamic leads to the products disappearing from retailer networks that are more extensive than the manufacturer's brick-and-mortar presence, so consumers lose the ability to see the products in person, even if they can order them online more easily than ever.
    I've seen some manufacturers partially mitigate this disadvantage with generous return/exchange policies, but of course, that only goes so far.

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Washington D.C.

My local Nordstroms near my house had AE products prominently displayed in it's in men's shoe section the last time I was there so they must be selling some in my area then.

I wonder If the retail apocalypse countries I wonder if the smaller makers like Samuelsohn Alden etc will take AE's lead and establish their own robust online presence as well?

Ditto the same thing for many small businesses as it seems to have worked very well so far for such popular brands on this site like O'Connells up in Buffalo or Herring across the pond.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12