Country
    England
    State
    East Sussex
    City
    Brighton

Default Am I old fashioned or does contemporary woman's fashion drive you to despair!?

The other day I walked past a few shop windows with some wonderfully elegant 1920's dresses and thought 'I never see woman wearing that when I go out.' I began paying closer attention to the woman around me's clothes. Jeans in a particularly offensive shade of blue, polyester everywhere, very few dresses, skirts or blouses. Admittedly its just my taste but I could find no one whose elegance struck me walking about for an hour! Plenty of grace but not in terms of attire. I see more woman with a stylish, androgynous approach which I have nothing against but no traditional feminine elegance with a strong sense of tradition. As oppose to the many male dandies in 3 piece suits etc.
    At a wedding perhaps but still a horrifying abundance of polyester!
    Is it the same where you live? And can I find an oldworld elegance without a timemachine?

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Dallas

Interesting. I wouldn't say "to despair" but I agree that I see a lot more androgynous styling. I try to channel Mad Men or Nora Charles or whomever. I wish we weren't all so super-casual and into 'athleisure' but I guess the toothpaste is out of the tube. So I do share your lament. I am not a polyester-hater though; it can be done well.

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    Atlanta

For what it's worth, my daughter and all her friends prefer wearing dresses, having their hair braided (like "Elsa" from "Frozen", usually), wearing accessories, and so on. So, as in all things, expect women to circle around again to more feminine modes of dress in the next decade or so.

Their mothers (my wife included) admittedly are all firm members of what I think of as the "Lululemon and Tesla" set. Is is certainly practical, though.

DH

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

I rather enjoy the changing landscape. Different perhaps, but ever fascinating. One thing is for sure...women are the fairer sex!