Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    Atlanta

Default What is the proper name for a herald's staff?

At some white tie balls and other truly formal occasions, a herald / footman / doorman / adjutant / butler is stationed at the door to the ballroom and formally announces the guests as they arrive, sometimes banging a large wooden staff on the floor once or twice prior to each announcement.

What is the proper name for this heraldís staff?

Were it the staff of a prelate, it would be a Crosier, but I think that name only applies to ecclesiastical staffs Ė and those are not used for announcing guests or to command attention like a gavel.

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    Atlanta

"Crosier" derives from the French for a shepherd's crook, so that it indeed strictly ecclesiastical (though it can seem highly appropriate!)

The name of the staff is going to be very context dependent if you're looking for some kind of adjectival detail; if the event has a grand marshal announcing guests, it would be a marshal's staff, and so on.

Assuming your typical ball has a master of ceremonies, a marshal, a footman, or just a butler (at a private house), you could just label the staff (or rod, but generally you aren't banging a rod on a floor) accordingly. Most formal events I've been to have had marshals (I say subjectively and anecdotally - others' mileage may vary), though I don't recall too much floor-banging.

Getting to the point: a given ball/gala can well have its own nomenclature - think of the Black Rod of Parliament.

I'd just call it a staff!

DH

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

"White tie balls," "banging a large wooden staff on the floor," "what is the proper name for this heralds staff?"

"Crosier derives from French for shepherds crook," name of the staff is context dependent, ie; marshal, footman , butler, etc." "but knock off the floor banging." Think..."Black Rod of Parliament," but "just call it a staff!"

Not a day passes, on which I peruse the AAAC forums and do not learn something new and frequently memorable. An unusual subject and a fascinating exchange..thank you gentlemen!

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Palm Desert

Whatever its name, now I just have to have one!!
    Andy
    Hidden Content
    Products reviewed may be furnished by their makers, sometimes at no cost to the reviewer, or be purchased by the reviewer. The review is strictly the personal opinion of the reviewer.
    AskAndyAboutClothes strongly encourages all members to enhance our reviews by posting their individual experiences with reviewed products.

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    Atlanta

Thank you, gentlemen. If I learn more, I will post it here.

Country
    UK
    State
    Cambridgeshire
    City
    Ely

The role that is described could be that of "Usher", it is not a herald who does this kind of thing. A herald is quite a different thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herald

Country
    UK
    State
    Cambridgeshire
    City
    Ely

I remembered! It is a wand! Really!

Country
    England
    State
    Kent
    City
    Tenterden

Quote Originally Posted by Chouan View Post
    The role that is described could be that of "Usher", it is not a herald ...
    As in the Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod - who of course carries a black rod.

It must be an obscure and rather precarious line of business to be a maker of croziers/staffs/wands/rods.

Country
    UK
    State
    London
    City
    London

In England the wooden staff about five feet long carried by ceremonial functionaries is usually called a wand. Church wardens have a wand of office often carried in procession.