Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Batavia

Default How does one use a trench coat throat latch?

My new (used) trench coat came with a throat latch.

Aside from the buckle and two buttons holding the throat latch in the back of the collar when not it use, there are two additional buttons towards the right front collar.

I have been unable to figure out how this piece of equipment is used, and note the following;

1) There is a lot of fabric to the left of the buttonholes. Since this is not utilized in "storage mode", it must have something to do with how it's actually used.
    2) The rounded part of the buttonholes is towards the notches. This implies that the throat latch is used in such a way that the notches are not causing stress on the buttonholes.
    3) The throat latch is too short to be used to secure one side of the collar to the other unless the coat is missing either more buttons or an additional buckle (I see no sign of either, and it wouldn't make much sense anyway).
    4) The throat latch is not secure enough to have its use simply be by attaching it to the front collar buttons and have it hang down at the front of the collar. It wouldn't offer any additional protection.

My research has shown me only the following;
    1) The following image that requires a button that my trench coat does not have and a buttonhole that the throat latch does not have.

2) A condescending remark by someone who says that it obviously is to go from the buckle, around the neck, to the buttons at the front. While this would be by thought too, it physically cannot be done (even on my thin neck), and the buttonholes are constructed incorrectly for such fastening.

Does anyone actually KNOW how it is used and able to provide a picture?

Thank you,

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

There are various configurations, please provide photo's of the other buttons and buttonholes which you believe that the latch will secure to.

At any rate, I find the throat latch to be more trouble than it is worth - most trench coats will also have a hook and eye closure at the throat if you absolutely require more secure closure - but in most instances turning up the collar and re-buttoning the double breast with the storm flap (gun patch) on top will provide sufficient protection against the elements.
    Ephesians 5:16 (NKJV)

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Batavia

Can you post only two photos each time?

This is the right shoulder and collar. The buckle attaches to the throat latch's "belt". What I find odd is that only that specific belt notch allows for the throat latch to link the buckle to the buttons without puckering. If only one notch works, why are there so many? That might be a better question if the garment as a whole did not include an actual belt that is not supposed to ever be buckled.
    Attachment 15541

Evidence that there are no buttons on the left collar.
    Attachment 15542

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Batavia

This is what the coat looks like when the collar is fully fastened and the storm flap is closed.
    Attachment 15543

This is with the throat latch connected to the two forward buttons. As you can see, this offers exactly zero extra protection. I also note that the belt notch to get it to this position is the same. Again, why the need for all the extra notches?
    Attachment 15544

Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

The throat latch is meant to connect across from one opposing side of the collar to the other.
    Ephesians 5:16 (NKJV)

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Batavia

I knew I should have finished that last post sooner instead of going off on a rant. Now your post interrupts my flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaver View Post
    The throat latch is meant to connect across from one opposing side of the collar to the other.
    I agree in theory, but I see no way for that to happen. If the buttons were on the other collar, it would sort of make sense, but then the buttonholes on the throat latch would have been sewn in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by MRR; December 23rd, 2015 at 07:40.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Batavia

This is the best I could come up with; throat latch going from the outside of the right collar to the inside of the left collar. My hand is not there because I think it is a perfect example of a masculine limb, it's there because without me holding the collar in place, it will fall out. I have a lot of trouble believing that this is how the throat latch is used, but it's the best i could come up with. The buttons line up, the "extra" fabric at least goes somewhere useful, the "belt" does not pull on the buttons (which would have contradicted the layout of the buttonholes), and the curve of the belt matches the collar.
    IMAG0517.jpg

Every other aspect of this coat has at least made sense (raglan sleeves) and sometimes impressed me (through pockets, storm flap), or might not have lived up to the mark (hook and eye at the throat that requires at least a mirror to fasten and another person to unclasp).

I can accept "tedious but useful". The throat latch, however, seems to be pointless.