Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Detroit

Default Replacement Gloverall throat latch?

I finally scored a nice navy Gloverall duffle coat on eBay, and it arrived yesterday, sans throat latch.

This is my first duffle coat, and I didn't realize they included throat latches until I saw the empty buttons that hold it in place. I really don't know how old this particular coat is.

I contacted the seller in the off chance that she may still have it. Naturally, she does not.

I checked out the Gloverall website, but it appears they only sell replacement toggles and leather fasteners.

Any ideas on where I might find a replacement throat latch in the right color/size?

Thanks in advance.

gloverall.jpg

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    Massachusetts
    City
    Boston

You might check with a local tailor? The latch is basically a wool strip with lining material sewn on the backside and two buttonholes. If the mfg doesn't sell replacements, I don't know that anyone else would either... FWIW, I use the latch at most once a year. I feel like it's easier just to wear a scarf.

Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiger View Post
    You might check with a local tailor? The latch is basically a wool strip with lining material sewn on the backside and two buttonholes. If the mfg doesn't sell replacements, I don't know that anyone else would either... FWIW, I use the latch at most once a year. I feel like it's easier just to wear a scarf.
    You're right, I probably wouldn't use the throat latch often. But I'm a stickler for originality and completeness. I imagine it would be hard for a tailor to get the right shade of navy. I also don't know exactly how it should be shaped (to match the original). If there's any opportunity to get a proper replacement, that would be optimal.

Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Detroit

So I sent a tweet to Gloverall about the missing throat latch. The company responded by suggesting I email Gloverall customer service and provided an email address (I don't think it is on their website).

A woman responded to my email and said Gloverall can make a replacement throat latch. She located an old swatch of navy fabric and is sending it to me so I can check the color match.

She added that the cloth composition of today's Gloverall coats is very different. The label on mine says 70% wool, 20% polyamide, 10% polyester. A quick check on the Gloverall website for the composition of today's "Original Gloverall Duffle" says 80% wool, 20% polyamide. I'm not sure what polyamide is, but I'm looking forward to receiving the swatch.

Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Denton

Winning

Sent from the ionosphere.

Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Bloomfield Hills

Quote Originally Posted by gamma68 View Post
    So I sent a tweet to Gloverall about the missing throat latch. The company responded by suggesting I email Gloverall customer service and provided an email address (I don't think it is on their website)...
    I have found contacting customer service for various companies is one of the best uses of Twitter (right up there with helping me set my fantasy football lineups on Sunday mornings).

FWIW, I dropped off a Gloverall to the Salvation Army yesterday, throat latch and all, but it was the tan color.

Country
    United States
    State
    Kentucky
    City
    Louisville

You're right, I probably wouldn't use the throat latch often. But I'm a stickler for originality and completeness. I imagine it would be hard for a tailor to get the right shade of navy. I also don't know exactly how it should be shaped (to match the original). If there's any opportunity to get a proper replacement, that would be optimal.
    So I sent a tweet to Gloverall about the missing throat latch. The company responded by suggesting I email Gloverall customer service and provided an email address (I don't think it is on their website).

A woman responded to my email and said Gloverall can make a replacement throat latch. She located an old swatch of navy fabric and is sending it to me so I can check the color match.

She added that the cloth composition of today's Gloverall coats is very different. The label on mine says 70% wool, 20% polyamide, 10% polyester. A quick check on the Gloverall website for the composition of today's "Original Gloverall Duffle" says 80% wool, 20% polyamide. I'm not sure what polyamide is, but I'm looking forward to receiving the swatch.

Not trying to be snarky, and I'm glad you're getting it worked out with Gloverall. But if you're a stickler for originality and completeness, buying secondhand may not be your best option.
    WTB: Pink Brooks Brothers Slim Fit OCBD, 16 or 16.5x34

Visit my blog: Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post
    Not trying to be snarky, and I'm glad you're getting it worked out with Gloverall. But if you're a stickler for originality and completeness, buying secondhand may not be your best option.
    It is when you spend less than $80 for an authentic Gloverall in nice condition, as opposed to £329 (or $541.73) for a comparable new one with the throat latch.

Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Detroit

This tale has a happy ending...

Country
    United States
    State
    OH
    City
    Columbus

Gamma: That's great for you and a great lesson for others on how customer service can work. Tip of the hat to Gloverall.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    NY

Quote Originally Posted by frydeswide View Post
    Gamma: That's great for you and a great lesson for others on how customer service can work. Tip of the hat to Gloverall.
    +1 - kudos to Gloverall.

Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Dallas

Default Typhoid Jones Vintage Menswear

That's awesome that Gloverall took care of you like that! FWIW, I do happen to have an extra navy blue Gloverall throat latch from a vintage BB duffle coat. (It was sent to me for consignment, but it had A LOT of moth damage and he told me to just "get rid of it.")

Quality Pre-Owned Clothing and Accessories on eBay.com:
    Hidden Content
    TYPHOID JONES Vintage Menswear on Etsy.com:
    Hidden Content