Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Herndon

Default Old dogs, new tricks.

It's not very well done, but it's a start. Taught myself how to tie a bow tie today. I'm sure it'll get better over time.

bow tie.jpg

Country
    United States
    State
    North Carolina
    City
    Charlotte

I can appreciate. Read a bunch of "how to" articles in pre-internet days, got frustrated, realized I could tie my shoes just fine, and simply did it. I now amaze the populace on occasion by untying and retying on the spot.
    Jack Floyd
    I remain mystified

Congrats!
    Now just pull on the single back end and single front end together and cinch that puppy up!

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Herndon

Quote Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
    Congrats!
    Now just pull on the single back end and single front end together and cinch that puppy up!
    Yep, practicing that - After several more tries, I might actually wear one in public. :icon_smile_big:

Next up, pocket squares.

If it won't cinch, you just messed up the last step a little.

Don't push the end of the tie through the back , push and pull the body ( skinnier part ) until the end is kind of flush with the fold on the front.

So one side is folded in the back, as is the opposite in the front.

This was the trickiest part for me.

As for the PS, BB has an excellent tutorial on their website, but I've found their really isn't a wrong way to do it.

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Herndon

Thanks - I've done it about 20 times so far.....and it is getting a bit easier - I'll check out the BB tutorial.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Forestville

Quote Originally Posted by phyrpowr View Post
    I can appreciate. Read a bunch of "how to" articles in pre-internet days, got frustrated, realized I could tie my shoes just fine, and simply did it. I now amaze the populace on occasion by untying and retying on the spot.
    Same thing happened to me. I was struggling with a bow tie one day and in the midst of it just tied it as I do my shoe laces. Since then it has been a relatively easy job, even with my eyes closed.

Whether everything is smooth or not, doesn't seem to matter as long as the knot is tight. The main point, as firedancer notes, is to get the loops of the bow and the ends more or less even. After all, it is not pre-tied. I think of it as somewhat of a g-t-h accessory, especially with evening clothes. A grumpy tightly knotted bowtie that stays tied seems preferable to a pretty one that falls apart.

Regards,
    Gurdon

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Bayside

Years ago, someone taught me how to tie a tie but now I forgot how to. I might have to be taught again.

Country
    United States
    State
    Oregon
    City
    Oak Grove

Despite being a born academic I have no intention of learning to tie a bow tie because I'll never attend a formal gathering nor wear one in public. But good fortune to you all, anyway.:wink2:
    Half fashion plate, half slob, but aspiring to 'half country squire, half Fl‚neur'

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Welcome to the Cyber-Shire

"You have to care.
    Only in that way can you look
    As if you do not."--Flanderian

Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Plano

Congrats now you're a true gent!

Country
    United States
    State
    MA
    City
    Marlborough

How does one control the width of the finished knot? Mine come out too wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker View Post
    How does one control the width of the finished knot? Mine come out too wide.
    The knot itself or the tie as a whole?

Country
    United States
    State
    MA
    City
    Marlborough

The finished product. The wings of the bow extend beyond the borders of my shirt and jacket lapel.

Default Old dogs, new tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker View Post
    The finished product. The wings of the bow extend beyond the borders of my shirt and jacket lapel.
    You have too much tie to work with. Shorten it up in the back to your shirt neck size or .5" bigger.
    Edit: that is if you have labeled neck sizes in the back. If not, shorten it up until you get the right length.
    Then go to all of your bows and set them to the same length. You should be set.

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Herndon

Quote Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
    You have too much tie to work with. Shorten it up in the back to your shirt neck size or .5" bigger.
    Edit: that is if you have labeled neck sizes in the back. If not, shorten it up until you get the right length.
    Then go to all of your bows and set them to the same length. You should be set.
    How about getting the center knot nice and snug? I'm doing the opposite corner tugs and adjustments, and it doesn't seem to cinch any better than when I first get it set.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorgtr View Post
    How about getting the center knot nice and snug? I'm doing the opposite corner tugs and adjustments, and it doesn't seem to cinch any better than when I first get it set.
    Pull on the opposite ends while gently holding the folded ends as well, just to keep everything lined up.

If pulling on opposite ends doesn't cinch, then the last step was probably done wrong, ie, flat end passed through the loop first instead of pushed through allowing the flat end to stay on its first side.

It may go without saying that you should have one folded end, and one flat end on each side left and right, and they should be on opposite sides in the back.

Practice my friend.