Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    United States
    State
    Maryland
    City
    Olney

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJohn View Post
    Y'all actually would be a nice alternative. In many languages, they make a distinction between the singular and plural form of "you". We did in English, too, many centuries ago. "You" or "ye" were plural (equivalent to "y'all") and "thou" was singular. "Thou", like the German "du" was considered overly familiar - and unlike in German, where "du" still survives between family, good friends or when addressing children - the English "thou" eventually died out completely except in the King James Bible and other historical works. "Y'all" resurrects this useful distinction.
    "All y'all" is the acceptable plural to "y'all", by the way. Just so you know.

--Me

Country
    United States
    State
    New Mexico
    City
    Albuquerque

I generally say "you all".
    [CENTER]"Don't be a snob about the way you dress. Snobbery is only a point in time. Be tolerant and helpful to the other fellow ó he is yourself yesterday."
    -Cary Grant

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Bayside

Ladies And Gentleman

Country
    United States
    State
    Oregon
    City
    Oak Grove

"Awright, you guys . . ." is, and has been for ages, the appropriate informal address a First Sergeant uses to his unit no matter what the composition of that unit may be. It hasn't be "You mens" since I left Basic clear back in the late 60's. Sorry. About. That.
    Half fashion plate, half slob, but aspiring to 'half country squire, half Fl‚neur'

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Welcome to the Cyber-Shire

"You have to care.
    Only in that way can you look
    As if you do not."--Flanderian

Country
    United States
    State
    Wisconsin
    City
    Middleton

Sorry for the bump of an old thread, but I was surprised that the word "Midwest" appeared nowhere here (at least that I noticed). I have always understood "you guys" to be a Midwestern variant of y'all. I too prefer "ladies and gentlemen," but that's almost pretentious around here.

Country
    United States
    State
    Wisconsin
    City
    Brookfield

For most situations, saying, "You Guys" is redundant. Better choices, if you must, are "Friends", "Folks", "All of You" (not "You All", since this is similar to "Me Neither", and don't even think about "Y'all"), just be creative (reasonably, of course).

I wish that "Ye" were not a "historical" word (every Western language has their version of "ye", but it has died out in English; see my thread on The Interchange), as it can, and should, be used for this purpose.

Using "You Guys" is a similar "Space-Filling" situation to using the word "Like", "You Know", and ending a sentence with "So..." Every time people commit the latter, I ask, "Like what?", "Nay, I'm afraid that I don't know what you are talking about, would you care to elaborate?", and "'SO' what??", respectively.

-Quetzal

Country
    United States
    State
    New Mexico
    City
    Albuquerque

Y'all is just a regional thing. Better deal with it.

Why did you revive this thread after so long?
    [CENTER]"Don't be a snob about the way you dress. Snobbery is only a point in time. Be tolerant and helpful to the other fellow ó he is yourself yesterday."
    -Cary Grant

Country
    UK
    State
    Oxfordshire
    City
    Henley on Thames

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Anyone else (dating ourselves) bothered by the phrase "you guys" when addressing young men and young women?

I know she is not known for her manners, but the First Lady's speech to young Irish dancers uses this phrase:

Speaking at the Gaiety Theatre in Dublin, Ireland, at a performance by of "Riverdance" by Irish youth,
    First Lady Michelle Obama thanked the crowd and said, "It is good to be home."

"My goodness! (Applause.) Thatís wonderful! You did it! Oh, my goodness. (Applause.)
    Thank you all so much. It is good to be home. Yes, indeed.
    You all are amazing -- and you're pretty good-looking, too. (Laughter.)," she said as she took the stage.

"I want to thank all you for being here. You know, kids, you guys, young people -- you guys have my heart. And I said this in Belfast earlier -- it's so true. (Laughter.) Look, my girls know -- I can embarrass them and love them to death -- but young people, you guys move me in ways that you donít even imagine. So it was so important for us that while we were here we got to do something with the young people here in Dublin. So thank you for such a warm welcome. You have made my family feel right at home in Ireland, and you guys are pretty awesome," she said.

"I want you to take that away with you this summer. I want you to look at me and Barack and all these wonderful leaders and understand that we are you. We are just like you -- just kids who worked a little hard and dreamt pretty big, and got to do some wonderful things. "

Michelle Obama?

Why on earth would she say "It is good to be home. Yes, indeed" when she was in Ireland?

Keeping on theme, it used to be common enough in rural Ireland, especially in the west, to hear young women refer to each other as "lads" when in groups. As in "Lads, would ye ever hurry up. There's a taxi waiting outside".

Country
    United States
    State
    Washington
    City
    Washington DC

An old thread, I know, but one worth reviving. I am still against "you guys", and I will be against it, and take offence, until I breathe my last. Apart from the fact that I dislike the word "guy" even for young men, I am most certainly not a man, and refuse to be addressed in such a manner. Any establishment that greets me in such a way can count on losing me as a customer, and fortunately there are plenty of options. I am delighted to say that I have noticed a bit of a turnaround, and it seems that manners seem to matter again.

Country
    United States
    State
    NC
    City
    Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    An old thread, I know, but one worth reviving. I am still against "you guys", and I will be against it, and take offence, until I breathe my last. Apart from the fact that I dislike the word "guy" even for young men, I am most certainly not a man, and refuse to be addressed in such a manner. Any establishment that greets me in such a way can count on losing me as a customer, and fortunately there are plenty of options. I am delighted to say that I have noticed a bit of a turnaround, and it seems that manners seem to matter again.
    I understand that it's against the values impacted to you from your region, but that phrase is not only accepted, but it is proper grammar in many states. One presumably would not go to a different country and be insulted by the different values therein, but actually revel in experiencing a new way of life. This is no different.
    Last edited by ThomGault; October 17th, 2016 at 15:40.

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    UK
    State
    Cambridgeshire
    City
    Ely

Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    I understand that it's against the values impacted to you from your region, but that phrase is not only accepted, but it is proper grammar in many states. One presumably would not go to a different country and be insulted by the different values therein, but actually revel in experiencing a new way of life. This is no different.
    As I wrote the first time around, a waiter in a restaurant that says "you guys" to my party has lost my custom for ever. It is, at the very least, overly familiar.

Country
    Canada
    State
    NS
    City
    Halifax

"Guys" has become gender-neutral. I agree it's too familiar for a server to use unless the restaurant has an extremely casual atmosphere, but I use it in casual conversation all the time.

"Folks" is the alternative I use if I want to be expressly gender-neutral at the risk of sounding a bit hokey.

"Y'all" seems strange coming from anyone who's not a southern American, imo.

Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by Chouan View Post
    As I wrote the first time around, a waiter in a restaurant that says "you guys" to my party has lost my custom for ever. It is, at the very least, overly familiar.
    It is abysmal and unfortunately increasingly prevalent in better bars and restaurants. "The 12 year olds are in ascendancy" - Ed Reardon (my grumpy , thwarted intellectual, hero).
    Ephesians 5:16 (NKJV)

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Bayside

Quote Originally Posted by ouinon View Post
    "Guys" has become gender-neutral. I agree it's too familiar for a server to use unless the restaurant has an extremely casual atmosphere, but I use it in casual conversation all the time.

"Folks" is the alternative I use if I want to be expressly gender-neutral at the risk of sounding a bit hokey.

"Y'all" seems strange coming from anyone who's not a southern American, imo.
    and don't forget the word "people".

Country
    United States
    State
    North Carolina
    City
    Boone

Quote Originally Posted by justonemore View Post
    How about "you folks"? " How are you folks doing tonight?" (informal situations of course).
    That's my choice as well, Howard!

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    Atlanta

I confess to using "guys" with close friends and/or persons subordinate to me.

For example, if I were heading out to a field project with some graduate students, I'd be more likely to say "okay guys, let's go" than "come on, men, let's go" or "gentlemen, the plane is ready", even if they ARE all men (which is rare).

I do say "girls" to my daughter and her friends: "get in the car, girls". I assume I'd be using "boys" if I had a son.

I actually used to use "fellows", but that was more a tongue-in-cheek thing when I was in prep school (and, to a lesser extent, college), as in "come along, my good fellows!". I still do that on occasion with very old (and equally "nerdy") friends, but again, it's a bit humorous.

I never have mastered "y'all", in spite of living for the past 40 years in the Southeastern USA; I'd have a hard time bringing myself to say "fellas", as well. I do hear both used fairly often (and "folks" as well, but in the Southeast, "folks" usually refers to black people, for whatever reason... a little remnant of linguistic bias in the local language).

Certainly, "guys" has become common enough, though, that it's being quite picky to find offense at its use in the service industry... I'm just glad the 90s trend of the friendly waitress sitting at the table to take the order seems to have passed into the beyond!

DH

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

How about, "how are all you swells doing"? We used to talk like that...we really did! Surely that cannot be inflammatory to any substantial degree...?

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    St. Simons Island

The first time I heard the expression "you guys" in reference to a mixed group was in Atlanta in the early 70's. The person uttering it was a very attractive woman who, unfortunately, suffered from being a Yankee. Being a gentleman, I quietly and tactfully explained to her that the proper expression is "y'all", a plural expression, "you" being singular. Although she hid it well, I know that deep inside she was truly grateful for the information.
    Clothes don't always make the man

Country
    United States
    State
    South Carolina
    City
    Goose Creek

I think "folks" would not be any better coming from a First Lady. I associate it with the German "volk", and the meaning of being common, and as the spouse of a head of state is surely not common, this would come across to me as speaking down to the audience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12