Default Help me name this accessory! (close cousin to the throat latch, I believe)

Hey gents, this will be a newbie question for most of you, but the answer has eluded me for a long time. Years ago I saw some trench coats and even some sports coats with this detail, and I tried to make a mental notation for the future when I would request this for a custom garment. Alas, it has been forgotten long since. And yes, I did search this forum thoroughly but to no avail. But luckily I recently found a picture which shows this exact accessory:

It's the kidney bean shaped detachable 'latch' under the gentleman's collar. I'd like to ask, this is a trench coat feature first, and a sports coat feature second, correct? Any other garments you might find it on? It seems like a more casual, sporting look. Also, I seem to remember it being placed under the lapel, or even inside the coat itself. Does the placement vary? I thought I remember a picture of Prince Charles closing his lapels with it, not the collar. Thanks for any info you can give!

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    England
    State
    Kent
    City
    Tenterden

Military greatcoats have them, so do some sports jackets, but then it's usually an extension of the collar that can either be buttoned back on itself, or buttoned across with the collar turned up; sometimes the lapels also button together by means of a button underneath the right lapel buttoning into the boutonnierre buttonhole, that could be what Prince Charles's coat had. A lot of Barbour and other outdoor-type jackets have throat latches (I think that is the correct term).

Country
    UK
    State
    Rhonda Cynon Taff
    City
    Pontypridd

I have always believed it to be called a throat latch. My barbour 3/4 length has one, as does my raincoat, and I think one of my old tweed jackets did too.

Country
    United States
    State
    PA
    City
    Poconos

For some reason, I really like that picture. He looks so happy.

Country
    Sweden
    State
    Všrmland
    City
    Všrmland

Throat latch????

My Barbours have one as do my tweed overcoat and 2 of my tweed jackets, I've always called it a collar tab, and the whole collar a storm collar, and I know that the term tab collar is also used for storm collar. I've never ever heard the term "throat latch" before this thread.

http://www.cotswolds-visiting-tailor...or-tab-collar/
    Last edited by Earl of Ormonde; February 8th, 2013 at 09:35.

Yep, throat latch.
    "Really, they are very well dressed. I would like to have some fine clothes, too! I wonder how I can get them?" HRH Babar, King of the Elephants.