Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718
    Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    New York

For recent trash reading on the beach, I found a book in the resort library entitled "My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me and Other Stories" by Hilary Winston. It was both hilarious and sad and highlights the intellectual/social/emotional pit that fourth wave feminism has left many American women struggling to escape.

If one was ever giving serious consideration to going full red pill MGTOW, this book will push one over the edge.

Cheers,

BSR

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Just last evening I finished reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, the long overdue sequel to King's The Shining. If you read The Shining or saw the Kubrick movie version of the story and found yourself with the "bejesus" scared out of you, Doctor Sleep is a must read! Danny Torrence has survived the drunken, maniacal rages, incited by agents of the occult, of his abusive late father, Don, and is now all grown up, but still valiantly opposing the evil inclinations/agressons of certain agents from the other side. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat and perhaps even up at night! LOL.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

This months selection of our community book club was Charles Todd's, An Impartial Witness, another yarn in the Bess Crawford mystery series. The intrepid Nurse Crawford is once again exposing herself to potential hazard(s) as she goes forth into an unfamiliar community, doing battle with the most unlikely of villains in the furtherance of the best interests of a deceased patient, the badly burned pilot of a British Sopwith Camel. The story illustrates the dark reality that one's most threatening enemies may not be the fellow on the other side of the battlefield in another land, but rather much closer to hearth and home! A good read.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

This past week Clive Cussler and his co-writer Boyd Morrison, provided me with perhaps a half dozen hours of reading entertainment with their book "Piranha!" Another fast moving tale of adventure featuring the intrepid crew of the Oregon, as they match wits, battle tactics and just plain, unvarnished bravado with a maniacal theoretical physicist, gifted with arguably unparalleled genius and access to weapons never before seen by man. I will not tell you who wins this test of intellectual daring-do, but keep in mind, the author Cussler has at least a few dozen more books in him! LOL. This book is a very good and entertaining read.

Country
    United States
    State
    North Carolina
    City
    Raleigh

I have begun reading the Three Musketeers. I am trying to conquer the entire catalog of Dumas.

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    St. Simons Island

I just finished Clive Cussler's "The Gangster" (with Justin Scott). It's in the Isaac Bell series. As always, a good read. Will be starting George Mac Donald Fraser's "The Reavers". It's a novel about a border clan/family conflict which plagued the border area between Scotland and England. It's one of two or three of his works that I haven't read.
    Clothes don't always make the man

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Oviedo

I recently completed "James Madison" by Richard Brookhiser. It's fairly well-written and provides a good overview of Madison's life, but is on the short side for a biography.

Country
    United States
    State
    Dixie
    City
    The Ham

Just finished re-reading Toole's "A Confederacy of Dunces." Now, to start on this month's Jughead Double Digest.

Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

^How did you find it on the further reading? I enjoyed it the first time (way back when) but wonder if it might stand up to another examination.
    Ephesians 5:16 (NKJV)

Country
    United States
    State
    Dixie
    City
    The Ham

Quote Originally Posted by Shaver View Post
    ^How did you find it on the further reading? I enjoyed it the first time (way back when) but wonder if it might stand up to another examination.
    To be perfectly honest, to truly enjoy this book, one must listen to it in audiobook form at least once. The original 1989 version narrated by Arte Johnson is good. But the 2005 re-release narrated by Barrett Whitener was masterfully done. You get such a feel for the characters. After listening to the unabridged version, reading the text version took on a whole new life.

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

Why Dr L, are you trolling old Uncle Shaver? Audiobooks indeed. The last time someone read a book to me was just prior to my teaching myself to read, early 1968.

Country
    United States
    State
    Dixie
    City
    The Ham

Why Dr L, are you trolling old Uncle Shaver? Audiobooks indeed. The last time someone read a book to me was just prior to my teaching myself to read, early 1968.
    Because, on long commutes, it is very difficult (and not recommended) to carefully perch a novel on one's steering wheel. Audiobooks are a necessary evil in that they allow literary escapes while navigating the drudgery of interstate traffic. Would I ever listen to one in the comfort of my abode? Absolutely not!

Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

^ An eminently reasonable and, moreover, reassuring explanation.

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    St. Simons Island

And a much better reply than, "No, but I did read the Cliff Notes".

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Quote Originally Posted by drlivingston View Post
    Because, on long commutes, it is very difficult (and not recommended) to carefully perch a novel on one's steering wheel. Audiobooks are a necessary evil in that they allow literary escapes while navigating the drudgery of interstate traffic. Would I ever listen to one in the comfort of my abode? Absolutely not!
    I have done so myself on a few occasions, however have noticed that my retention/understanding of details from the story seems to suffer when taken in through the ears, rather than through the eyes. Does that mean my vision is superior to my hearing...or is that just a normal response? LOL.

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    St. Simons Island

^I can't image that, distinguished fellow that you are, any one of your senses could be superior to another.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Oviedo

I recently completed "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson, which is about William Dodd, who became the U.S. Ambassador to Germany in 1933. I had a hard time getting into this book. I thought Larson's "Dead Wake" was much better. But it is worth reading for the "eyewitness" perspective of Germany during Hitler's rise to power.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Los Angeles

I have a 1 hour commute to work each way. Several years ago I started listening to books on disc. The technology is now up to downloaded mp3 files which I get from the web site for the local library. Right now I'm listening to John Irving's "Avenue of Mysteries." It isn't one of his best, but still entertaining.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Last months book club selection...David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. Last read perhaps fifty years back as required reading in an English Literature course, the degree of detail lost to the passage of time leads me to one of two possible conclusions: either one remembers greater detail from documents read due to a genuine interest vs required at the behest of other authority, on one's part, or the the passage of sufficient time does indeed wound (sometimes quite severely) all heels! At least I'm pretty sure I experienced a greater sense of appreciation for what I was reading this time around that experienced when I read David Copperfield, lo those many years ago!

Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

"Chapter 1. I Am Born.

Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show."

Copperfield remains amongst my very favourite examples of Dickens' glittering talent.

Fun fact - it was this literary work which first informed me of the birth abnormality that is the caul.
    Last edited by Shaver; May 13th, 2017 at 09:05.

Country
    United States
    State
    Dixie
    City
    The Ham

Copperfield remains amongst my very favourite examples of Dickens' glittering talent. It was this iterary work which introduced to the birth caul.
    One of my father's favorite lines was, “My advice is, never do to-morrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!” In truth, Dad was not much of a literary buff. However, Dickens appealed to him on an intelligent, yet readable level.

Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

Heh. You caught me mid edit. This bus driver is determined to traverse each pothole of the thoroughfare. Decidedly not conducive to the enhancement of my typing.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

This month's book club selection was Solomon Northup's 12 Years A Slave. A very sobering read, the book describes the pre civil war kidnapping of a freeman in New York and his subsequent sale into terms of slavery on three Louisiana plantations. The emotional angst was palpable and the descriptions of the various and almost continuous instances of physical cruelty committed against the slaves will continue to haunt the readers mind, long after the book has been read!

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    New York

Just finished "3 Cups of Tea" by Mortensen and Relin. It is about an American mountain climber who dedicated his life to building schools in rural Pakistan and Afghanistan in order to fight rural poverty and the spread of fundamentalist madrassas.

An excellent read. Highest recommendation.

Cheers,

BSR

Country
    England
    State
    Kent
    City
    Tenterden

DSC_0220.jpeg

My book shelves are somewhat depleted now but still contain a few treasures from my youth - very occasionally these are hauled out.
    For those not familiar with the Olivia Manning's Balkan Trilogy, it concerns the small community of English academics and various footloose Bohemians resident in war-time Bucharest, stoicly carrying on while German plans for pan-European domination slowly unfold. Manning is a wonderful writer, able to convey complex characters and events with great economy. There are occasional sartorial details that may be of interest. Here is one Prince Yakimov, an Irish/White Russian Prince, living off infrequent remittances from home, his Hispano Suiza impounded by customs officials, and decidedly down on his uppers:

Walking in the Calea Victoriei, in the increasing heat of midday, his sad camel face a-run with sweat, he wore a panama hat, a suit of corded silk, a pink silk shirt and a tie that was once the colour of Parma violets. His clothes were very dirty. The hat was brim-broken and yellow with age. His jacket was tattered, brown beneath the armpits, and so shrunken that it held him as in a brace.
    The Nazis, the ISIS of their time, are of course a thoroughly unpleasant lot. First they elbow the beseiged Brits out of the English Bar at the Athenee Palace. Contemporary (and in fact real) newsreel showing burning cities, diving stukas, fleeing refugees and merciless Nazi soldiers is described being shown in a cinema, the audience (as I myself was, momentarily) left dumbfounded by the Germans' uncompromising savagery and jauntily overt disavowal of Christianity and all its values:

"Wir wollen keine Christen sein,
    Weil Christus war ein Judenschwein,
    Und seine Mutter, welch ein Hohn,
    Die heisst Marie, gebor'ne Kohn."
    The trilogy is a subtle, witty, sombre and haunting description of a city at war, of Brits putting on a brave face with the odds against them, of rumours, human absurdity, betrayals and arrests, and also the tale of a young couple who have seemingly married by mistake and in haste.