Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819
    Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    New York

Given that I currently find myself with a lot of time to kill, living in the equivalent of a very posh minimum security federal penitentiary in Karachi for the next two years, I am on a one year plan to read the Bible (KJV of course) and a 30 day plan to read the Koran.

Cheers,

BSR

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    North Carolina
    City
    Raleigh

This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

This months local book club read was Fredrick Backman's "My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry." As did his book "A Man Called Ove," this Backman creation once again illustrates the potential power of our daily relationships to assist in overcoming life challenges and introduce a magical component to the otherwise mundane realities of many, if not all, of our lives. Frederick Backman is indeed, quite the storyteller! A worthwhile and entertaining read.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B. Scott Robinson View Post
    Given that I currently find myself with a lot of time to kill, living in the equivalent of a very posh minimum security federal penitentiary in Karachi for the next two years, I am on a one year plan to read the Bible (KJV of course) and a 30 day plan to read the Koran.

Cheers,

BSR

If you should find yourself bogging down in your efforts to read the KJV of the Bible cover to cover, I recommend you consider reading Professor Walter Wangerin, Jr's "The Book of God: The Bible written as a novel." Having read KJV and NIV versions of the Bible, cover to cover, I found Professor Wangerin's work to be, by far the easiest to read and providing a greater depth of understanding for a relative liturgical layman such as I. Best wishes for the success of your reading quest!

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    New York

Thanks!

The online schedule I am using only requires 5-10 minutes per day. Much of Genesis is x begot x who lived x years and begot x....does not require a lot of attention.

To mix it up I am reading an additional couple of books. I finished 3 Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen who has been accused of being a shyster. I am in the middle of Driving Mr. Albert by Michael Paternity and I have just cracked into Pakistan, A Hard Country, by Anatol Lieven.

I have time on my hands!

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    St. Simons Island

I'm currently reading Lords of the Sky by Dan Hampton which deals with air combat from WWI through 2003 Iraq. Excellent read.

Do they make a Golden Book edition of the KJV?
    Clothes don't always make the man

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    St. Simons Island

It's interesting to note that aside from all this current silliness about Shakespeare writing the King James Bible, the AV uses about 12000 English words (about 26,500 if one counts the Greek and Hebrew words).

Shakespeare uses about 15,000 different words.

I'm not sure that has any more significance other than my being quite pleased with myself for remembering it.
    Clothes don't always make the man

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    New York

Several years ago, I read a book about about the history surrounding the writing of the KJV. I think it was entitled "In the Beginning". An excellent read.

The KJV along with Shakespeare are credited with creating the written works which led to the standardization of the English language. Those works essentially codified standard English for 400 years. Most folks who were literate could only afford one book, a Bible. As a result, literate people in the English speaking world read and learn written English from the same text for several generations. A fascinating concept.

Cheers,

BSR

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    Lockport

Last completed: Superforecasting (Tetlock/Gardner); Goldfinch (Tartt); Rise of Robots (Ford).

Now on The Evangelicals (Fitzgerald) and The Sympathizer (Nguyen).

Country
    United States
    State
    Xanadu
    City
    Xanadu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B. Scott Robinson View Post
    Several years ago, I read a book about about the history surrounding the writing of the KJV. I think it was entitled "In the Beginning". An excellent read.

The KJV along with Shakespeare are credited with creating the written works which led to the standardization of the English language. Those works essentially codified standard English for 400 years. Most folks who were literate could only afford one book, a Bible. As a result, literate people in the English speaking world read and learn written English from the same text for several generations. A fascinating concept.

Cheers,

BSR
    I believe that the book you are referring to is God's Secretaries by Adam Nicholson :

https://www.harpercollins.com/978006...ds-secretaries

Alister McGrath also wrote a book on the same subject entitled In the Beginning :

https://books.google.com/books/about...d=t-iLuDI60O0C

I enjoyed the book written by Adam Nicholson although I am not a votary of the Christian religion .

12. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    United States
    State
    Xanadu
    City
    Xanadu

I just read October : The Story of the Russian Revolution by China Mieville . And , negative , I am not a communist. Apropos of communism , I would like to read the dual biography of Churchill & Orwell by Mr. Thomas Ricks :

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/bo...9781594206139/