Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Palm Desert

Default Carroll & Co. Royal Briar Cologne

There have been some favorable comments on these fora about Royal Briar Cologne, sold exclusively at Carroll & Co. in Beverly Hills. I just got some and it's great. Clean, refreshing fragrance and not so bad mixed with tonic! :icon_smile_big:

The great thing is that you don't have to be in Beverly Hills to buy it (unless you want to)! :icon_smile:

Just click on this link:

http://www.carrollandco.com/carroll/..._briar_cologne

On the check out page please leave a comment so that they know you came from Ask Andy! Something like this:
    Comments
    If you have any comments or special information for this order, enter it below before checking out:
    Heard about it on Ask Andy
    Here's the main website:

http://www.carrollandco.com/carroll/

And a great story about the cologne:
    For many years we carried the Atkinson's Royal Briar Cologne. It is a classic gentlemen's scent, (Ronald Reagan's favorite) and we sold so much of it that it was difficult to keep in stock. Men were having trouble finding it and when they finally found us, they would often buy a dozen bottles at a time.

Last year, the U.S. distributor was having trouble getting it. Atkinson's was finding it too costly to ship into the States from the U.K.

But this cologne has a cult like following. Young and old, men were devastated to learn that we were out of it and not only did we not know WHEN we were getting our next shipment, but IF we were getting our next shipment. Shortly thereafter, Atkinson's Royal Briar was no longer.

We took matters into our own hands. Since we had sold every last bottle, I called up a good customer and asked him if he could please part with a bottle for me. It wasn't easy, but I got him to surrender an old half bottle. I sent it to our perfumer to copy. Samples back and forth over the next few months. But finally - Voilŗ! a perfect match.

We now have the exact Royal Briar scent, although it is now called Carroll's Royal Briar, same packaging, same bottle. But again, the scent is dead on and we've helped a lot of men who were fragrantly lost find their way back to smelling wonderful again.

-- John Carroll.
    Andy
    Hidden Content
    Products reviewed may be furnished by their makers, sometimes at no cost to the reviewer, or be purchased by the reviewer. The review is strictly the personal opinion of the reviewer.
    AskAndyAboutClothes strongly encourages all members to enhance our reviews by posting their individual experiences with reviewed products.

Country
    United States
    State
    CA
    City
    Los Angeles

I've always thought this was an after shave. Either way, it does smell nice, but the regular Carroll & Co cologne has quickly become my favorite even edging out Aqua di Parma.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Long Beach

Yeah, I had a bottle of it. Used it a lot. Nice fragrance. I don't get up to Beverly Hills often anymore, otherwise I might pick up another bottle. It's a good value, one of the few at Carroll & Co. That store has lots of fine, top-quality merchandise, but it isn't exactly a paradise for a value-minded shopper!

Country
    United States
    State
    CA
    City
    Los Angeles

Carroll and Co is a fine store. I wish I could afford to purchase more things there then the cologne and the occasional pack of collar stays, but even their sales are beyond my reach. Nevertheless, the staff there have always been nice to me when I've gone in there even though I don't spend much.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Palm Desert

Quote Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
    Yeah, I had a bottle of it. Used it a lot. Nice fragrance. I don't get up to Beverly Hills often anymore, otherwise I might pick up another bottle. It's a good value, one of the few at Carroll & Co. That store has lots of fine, top-quality merchandise, but it isn't exactly a paradise for a value-minded shopper!
    Jan:

You can just order online to re-stock!
    Andy
    Hidden Content
    Products reviewed may be furnished by their makers, sometimes at no cost to the reviewer, or be purchased by the reviewer. The review is strictly the personal opinion of the reviewer.
    AskAndyAboutClothes strongly encourages all members to enhance our reviews by posting their individual experiences with reviewed products.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Long Beach

^Oh, I'd rather wait until I got up there. The staff are so nice to me always that I'd like to buy something in person just to show good faith.

I haven't bought much from them--two ascots and three ties, the latter on sale. As I recall, the sale-priced ties were very reasonable, about $20 or $25. Some of the suits I have seen on sale there looked like pretty good deals, and they had some sale prices on Alden shell cordovans that were so attractive I might have bought a pair, had any fitted me well. Thus, the occasional good bargain can be had there. I probably would have bought a few more ascots from them had they not kicked the price up from $95 to $115, whereupon my sales resistance kicked in

Country
    United States
    State
    california
    City
    Los Angeles

Knowing the Ronnie Reagan wore it enough for me to avoid it. Frankly, I haven't found much at C&Co. That I would buy. The sales merchandise always looks like stock that has been sitting around for years. In the old Dick Carroll days he had much better looking stuff IMHO. I had a $600 gift card and could find much of anything to buy.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Long Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyp View Post
    Knowing the Ronnie Reagan wore it enough for me to avoid it. Frankly, I haven't found much at C&Co. That I would buy. The sales merchandise always looks like stock that has been sitting around for years. In the old Dick Carroll days he had much better looking stuff IMHO. I had a $600 gift card and could find much of anything to buy.
    You must be a man of far more discriminating tastes than I. I imagine I could blow a $600 gift card at Carrol's with the greatest of ease. Why don't I ever get gifts like that, dammit?

Country
    United States
    State
    california
    City
    Los Angeles

In my younger days I would have had no problem. Frankly, I bought 3 shirts. two sale, two ties both on sale. I still had about $200 left.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    There have been some favorable comments on these fora about Royal Briar Cologne, sold exclusively at Carroll & Co. in Beverly Hills. I just got some and it's great. Clean, refreshing fragrance and not so bad mixed with tonic! :icon_smile_big:

I hope you're straining it through bread first.
    PJC in NoVa

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Palm Desert

Quote Originally Posted by PJC in NoVa View Post
    I hope you're straining it through bread first.
    I'm trying to quit bread (and water)! :icon_smile_big:
    Andy
    Hidden Content