Default Striped suit question

I don't know if this should bother me, but I bought a suit from the Saks sale a few weeks back. It's a Zegna, and never having bought a Zegna before, I thought it was odd that they were made in Mexico. Of course, this forum educated me that being made in Mexico, this was a lesser quality suit than a normal Zegna. But given the price I paid I thought it was probably worth keeping (retail was $1095 and I paid $287.49).

Anyway, my question is, in the picture (hopefully the pic is showing) you can see on the lapel where on the right side of the picture, the pinstripe matches up after the "separation" but on the left side of the picture the stripes don't match up. For some reason, I think this looks bad and cheap. Am I being too picky or is this normal? What made me post this is that I was just watching a movie and I saw the guy's suit did the same thing as the left, uneven side of the suit, but his right side was equally uneven. Just curious is this is something to be concerned about or is it OK. Thanks!

Country
    United States
    State
    TN
    City
    Spring Hill

For some reason I have always taken notice of whether the stripes match on the lapel when I see someone with a striped suit. I do it all the time watching CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc. Sometimes they match, and sometimes they don't; however, I can't ever remember seeing one where they matched on one side and not on the other. I will be interested in what the "experts" say.

Cruiser

It is a kind of odd coincidence that all three stripes line up on one side. I think that's all it is, though.

If I were you, I would be concerned as this is pretty bad IMO. I was told to have an exact pattern match across gorge seam sometimes is almost impossible. The better way in this case is to "shift/move" the collor a bit to the right. Doing so, neither side would have pinstripes matched exactly, but the end result is a much better "visual" effect.

As the OP mentioned the full retail for the suit is $1,095 and it was made in Mexico, so I would assume the suit is from Z. Zegna line (Zegna's diffusion line). And that could explain it.

Country
    Lithuania
    State
    Kaunas
    City
    Kaunas

It can't be Zegna. I think, this is fake. Sorry

I wouldn't obsess too much about exact pattern matching - especially at that price point.

Country
    United States
    State
    TN
    City
    Spring Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Sator View Post
    I wouldn't obsess too much about exact pattern matching - especially at that price point.
    To me this isn't about exact pattern matching. What I don't like about this is that it matches on one side and doesn't on the other. That jumps out at me like a neon sign. I would much prefer them to be mismatched on both sides as that would be less likely to draw attention to this.

Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by video2 View Post
    It can't be Zegna. I think, this is fake. Sorry
    It is hard to believe that Saks sells knock-offs. As I said, the suit is probably from Z Zegna line instead of E Zegan line (mainline).

Country
    Aaland
    State
    Dunno
    City
    Dunno

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    To me this isn't about exact pattern matching. What I don't like about this is that it matches on one side and doesn't on the other. That jumps out at me like a neon sign. I would much prefer them to be mismatched on both sides as that would be less likely to draw attention to this.

Cruiser
    yes, it does jump out a little.

I have one Zegna that matches perfectly. One that doesn't match perfectly (if you see what I mean) and one that is "random", possibly because it's a sort of multi-stripe. None of them are quite as lob-sided as this. It doesn't prove beyond doubt that it is a fake, but I can see how it could be an annoyance.
    Last edited by Rossini; February 25th, 2008 at 06:35.
    [Reginald Iolanthe Perrin is awaiting his first customer at his new shop, Grot]
    Customer In Shop: Everything in this shop is rubbish, is it?
    Reginald Perrin: Absolutely, sir.
    Customer In Shop: I see. What's the point of that, then?
    Reginald Perrin: Well, we're sold so much rubbish these days under false pretenses, I decided to be honest about it.
    Customer In Shop: Ah, you've got a point there. There you have got a point.

Default Check the suit carefully

Just a thought ---

When I was at Saks I thought I noticed that the Private Label Saks suits retail for the price you mentioned and are mfgr'd in Mexico. I think it is possible that you bought a Saks private label suit made from Zenga fabric?

Country
    Lithuania
    State
    Kaunas
    City
    Kaunas

Quote Originally Posted by manjula View Post
    Just a thought ---

When I was at Saks I thought I noticed that the Private Label Saks suits retail for the price you mentioned and are mfgr'd in Mexico. I think it is possible that you bought a Saks private label suit made from Zenga fabric?
    Agree

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Lawndale

Default Take It Back

Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    It should line up better than it does. I would take it back.
    Orsini
    Redondo Beach, California, USA
    Hidden Content

"It would be wrong if it were a mistake. But the Duke knows better -- so it's alright."

Quote Originally Posted by manjula View Post
    Just a thought ---

I think this might be right. The label inside is a black Saks Fifth Avenue tag and on the other side it says "cloth by ermenegildo zegna, woven in italy". I'm sure it's not a fake, it's just the quality of this suit isn't what can be expected of the higher end zegna.

My problem with it is that the mismatched striping is too noticable to me, so I was curious as to what the more experienced people would think. Outside of one "it's not terrible for the price" comment, I think the negativity has made my mind up! Thanks for the replies, I think it's going back to the store tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    The label inside is a black Saks Fifth Avenue tag and on the other side it says "cloth by ermenegildo zegna, woven in italy". I'm sure it's not a fake, it's just the quality of this suit isn't what can be expected of the higher end zegna.
    Then it is not a Zegna. "Cloth by Zegna" could still mean it was mass produced in China. If you call a coat a "Zegna" it means it is made by Zegna.

Things made for Saks are usually by reputable companies and of good quality. However, it is known that retail outlet stores have a lower quality diffusion range made especially for them.

Country
    Canada
    State
    BC
    City
    Richmond

Someone tell me if I'm wrong but I believe the collar piece is of a different "size" than one that would meet with the lapel so it's actually not "right" for the stripes to match up? I recall reading something like this a few years back on this very same forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sator View Post
    Then it is not a Zegna. "Cloth by Zegna" could still mean it was mass produced in China. If you call a coat a "Zegna" it means it is made by Zegna.

Things made for Saks are usually by reputable companies and of good quality. However, it is known that retail outlet stores have a lower quality diffusion range made especially for them.
    The label on the collar said Made in Mexico on it which from what I've read on this forum, that's where the lower Zegna line is made by Zegna. I don't really know how or why the Saks label gets sewn in there and if it does have a Saks label on it, does that really make it the store's brand. I used to work at Nordstrom and I still stop in there every once in a while, but many of the Abboud's at nordstrom have the nordstrom label on them. I certainly wouldn't say it's a nordstrom brand suit by Abboud....I'd say it's an Abboud bought at Nordstrom. Whatever the case may be, it doesn't matter to me as it was returned today. Although the salesman tried to sell my girlfriend a pinstripe Jack Victor and he said it's the same material and made by the same company. No idea if he's right or not, but sounds odd to me.