Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Palm Desert

Default Cary Grant's suit

AAAC Forum Member, Richard Torregrossa, has written an article about "Cary Grant and the Secrets of the Perfect Suit":

http://www.richardtorregrossa.com/Ca...rfect-suit.htm
    Andy
    Hidden Content
    Products reviewed may be furnished by their makers, sometimes at no cost to the reviewer, or be purchased by the reviewer. The review is strictly the personal opinion of the reviewer.
    AskAndyAboutClothes strongly encourages all members to enhance our reviews by posting their individual experiences with reviewed products.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    AAAC Forum Member, Richard Torregrossa, has written an article about "Cary Grant and the Secrets of the Perfect Suit":

http://www.richardtorregrossa.com/Ca...rfect-suit.htm
    The tiny car pictured in the article is a BMW Isetta 300. A friend of mine had one in college (early 60's).

Default Grant's shirt not a button-down

Nice article. However, with all due respect to the author's sartorial scholarship, unless I am extremely mistaken, Grant's shirt is NOT a button-down. It simply has a soft, unconstructed collar.

(I am of course talking about the shirt Grant is wearing with the suit in most of the movie, not the one he is wearing without a suit in the final scenes, where I believe a deliberately ill-fitting, somewhat oversized shirt was used in order to suggest that it was bought for him in a casual way by the secret agent who had to buy him some clothes).

Country
    Aaland
    State
    Dunno
    City
    Dunno

And I can't imagine you'd ever catch him wearing a button-down? There's a lesson (I hope!)
    [Reginald Iolanthe Perrin is awaiting his first customer at his new shop, Grot]
    Customer In Shop: Everything in this shop is rubbish, is it?
    Reginald Perrin: Absolutely, sir.
    Customer In Shop: I see. What's the point of that, then?
    Reginald Perrin: Well, we're sold so much rubbish these days under false pretenses, I decided to be honest about it.
    Customer In Shop: Ah, you've got a point there. There you have got a point.

Country
    United States
    State
    california
    City
    Los Angeles

Class of Class. CG was a picture of Sartorial splendor. His movies were great as well!

I bought his book on Cary Grant, a nice book.
    ďThe only man who behaved sensibly was my tailor; he took my measurement anew every time he saw me, while all the rest went on with their old measurements and expected them to fit me.Ē

George Bernard Shaw

And I can't imagine you'd ever catch him wearing a button-down? There's a lesson (I hope!)

That`s wrong.

In the last scenes of NBNW and in at least one other movie (Hoiuseboat) he is sporting a BD shirt. I have seen many other publicity and private pictures of him wearing one as well.

Country
    United States
    State
    PA
    City
    Carlisle

Quote Originally Posted by Rossini View Post
    Clearly not in keeping with the "rules" as many of us understand them, but Grant often wore a button-down with his suits.

http://www.ustar.net/Merchant2/graph...0002/grant.jpg

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    New York

Grant's suit in "North by Northwest" was made by Quintino, Grant's Beverly Hills tailor. The suit was not made by Kilgour, French & Stanbury.

The suit is extensively discussed in the bespoke section of the www.thelondonlounge.net.

Incidentally, Quintino received screen credit for Grant's wardrobe in "Indiscreet" which shortly pre-dated "North by Northwest".
    Mark E. Seitelman
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by son of brummell View Post
    Grant's suit in "North by Northwest" was made by Quintino, Grant's Beverly Hills tailor.
    He is a brave man, Kilgour's Mr Brandelli, claming that Kilgour made it.

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    United States
    State
    MA
    City
    E Longmeadow

Andy, thanks for the link.
    guit

"a dedicated follower of fashion"

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    Jefferson

No disrespect to Mr. MacMurray but there is a strong resemblance to Captain Marvel. That's a very old comic book character for the younger members.
    Michael

quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"But then, a woman is only a woman and an EG is a shoe." - Will

"If you want a friend ....... buy a dog." - Anonymous

A businessman matches his socks to his pants. A gentleman matches his socks to his mood. - AldenPyle

I believe Jcusey is single-handedly responsible for most if not all of our shoe acquisitions in this forum.Hidden Content

~Alex (Luckyguy)

Back to Grant's shirt in this movie: if it was OTR, as the author of the article claims (but which I doubt very much), it must have been one of those 1950s soft-collar shirts the like of which I have been looking for in vain for years. Grant is not the only actor to wear a soft-collared (non-BD) shirt in the movie. I hope very much that they will become fashionable again sometime, but in the meantime: does anyone on this forum know where one might get soft-collar shirts OTR? I love soft-collared shirts with thin interlining but I have a strong aversion to button-downs (and to oxford cloth, for that matter). Any hint?

Default The Fit was RIGHT but WHY was the Fit Right?

What did Cary Grant's tailor do to make him look so good? Or was it the personna more than the clothes?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinspeare View Post
    Back to Grant's shirt in this movie: if it was OTR, as the author of the article claims (but which I doubt very much), it must have been one of those 1950s soft-collar shirts the like of which I have been looking for in vain for years. Grant is not the only actor to wear a soft-collared (non-BD) shirt in the movie. I hope very much that they will become fashionable again sometime, but in the meantime: does anyone on this forum know where one might get soft-collar shirts OTR? I love soft-collared shirts with thin interlining but I have a strong aversion to button-downs (and to oxford cloth, for that matter). Any hint?
    I think Matt Deckard of this forum, who favors retro-look clothing, had this type of shirt made for himself not long ago by Hemrajani. You might try PM'ing him.
    PJC in NoVa

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Coram

Quote Originally Posted by son of brummell View Post
    Grant's suit in "North by Northwest" was made by Quintino, Grant's Beverly Hills tailor. The suit was not made by Kilgour, French & Stanbury.

The suit is extensively discussed in the bespoke section of the www.thelondonlounge.net.

Incidentally, Quintino received screen credit for Grant's wardrobe in "Indiscreet" which shortly pre-dated "North by Northwest".
    Cary grand also wore Oxxford suits, in addition to some of the bespoke suits that he wore.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetag39 View Post
    What did Cary Grant's tailor do to make him look so good? Or was it the personna more than the clothes?
    It probably helped that Grant had the physique of one of the male figures from the old (painted) Brooks Bros. catalogues--6 ft. 1 and 180 lbs.

He stayed in shape as he aged, too--at least he looks to be in pretty decent condition even in his later films. Certainly he never let himself go like Marlon Branflakes during his "Is that Colonel Kurtz or just Uncle Fester?" phase.

I've read that CG thought he had a few flaws in his build, one being a too-short neck that was also, he felt, a trifle thick (at 17") for a man 20 lbs south of the deuce and an inch north of the big 6. To compensate he favored a lower band on his shirt collars, IIRC.
    PJC in NoVa

Country
    United States
    State
    CA
    City
    Los Angeles

Here's a link to that shirt I had made. It has a non fused collar so it tends to roll outward which is what I like... also tails galore.

http://clubcad.thecad.net/showthread.php?t=36
    Check out my Old Hollywood shirts at
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

A man of action.

END OF LINE.