Default Who has a proper defination for "fashion forward"?

A phase that is bantered around a lot today. Never the less, I have yet to see a decent defination for it. Who has one?
    "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Hidden Content

Trendy.

One step away from "runway wierdness".

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

I doubt you'll find the term in a dictionary. I have used it here to label firms which are focused on fashion trends and anticipating new/upcoming fashion trends, rather than focusing on "classic" clothing.

For example, Burberry used to sell all manner of old, dated clobber, much of which had not changed significantly for long periods, other than nods to minor changes in style nuances that have marked each decade. More recently, Burberry has shifted to the business of selling up-to-the-moment clothing & accessories which reflect current fashion trends coming from international designers and fashion shows. They are now "fashion-forward".

DocD

Country
    United States
    State
    Ca
    City
    San francisco

It may say something that Wikipedia's highest ranked result is "offensive."
    Will's thoughts on dressing with style.
    Hidden Content

High-priced, and obselete within one season.
    Train your eye in color, shape and balance, then train your brain to trust your eye.

I've heard it used to describe my clothing - I really didn't see it as per my definition of the term.

I am under the impression that the definition of the term is different with every person and possibly situation.

It could encompass everything from those who are always "trendy" or those who set the trends to those who just look odd. Personally, I use the term more as fashion concious - a nod to modern fashion (i.e. not ignoring modern trends completely but at the same time not looking like a GQ model), but with your own individual twist.
    Woman no buy man clothes! Man buy man clothes! - Teacher

More or less something that is not traditional. As said the definition varies--I'll leave it to the people who would split hairs over black suits and blue jeans to concern themselves with the extent of the variation. In general, if something is called fashion-forward by anyone who knows what they are talking about, that thing is to be avoided by gentleman alike.

Quote Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
    One step away from "runway wierdness".
    I disagree. To me fashion forward just means "ahead of the trend." Frankly a couple of years ago it would have been considered "fashion forward" to wear a SB PL jacket, despite the fact that it is the core of traditionality. Retro can be fashion forward (wearing a fedora, for example). Fashion forward says nothing about whether you like it or hate it. It just means "ahead of the trend".

That's what I think anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
    I disagree. To me fashion forward just means "ahead of the trend." Frankly a couple of years ago it would have been considered "fashion forward" to wear a SB PL jacket, despite the fact that it is the core of traditionality. Retro can be fashion forward (wearing a fedora, for example). Fashion forward says nothing about whether you like it or hate it. It just means "ahead of the trend".

That's what I think anyway.
    Sorry, I hardly think of wearing a fedora as either "retro" or "fashion forward". It's classic style and as such is neither in nor out of fashion. Fashion forward is to me reminiscent of the bad designer suits of the '80s too much this/too little that. Or E.G.: floodpant suits that seem all popular today, or skirts for men of a few years ago-that's "fashion forward".

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)

Quote Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
    Sorry, I hardly think of wearing a fedora as either "retro" or "fashion forward". It's classic style and as such is neither in nor out of fashion. Fashion forward is to me reminiscent of the bad designer suits of the '80s too much this/too little that. Or E.G.: floodpant suits that seem all popular today, or skirts for men of a few years ago-that's "fashion forward".
    We could go back and forth on this, but in the end I think all we'd do is prove the OP's point. There probably is no good definition. I clearly means something different to everyone.

When I purchased my new seersucker suit a few weeks ago I was told by the salesman at the store (whom I had purchased a number of items from in the past) that he thought that I was "fashion forward" enough to pull off a seersucker suit. Not saying he was right, just that his definition didn't fit with either of ours.

Fashion forward means trends that are over before you can get your new clothes home. Some classics like madras or seesucker, go in and out of style but are always stylish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
    We could go back and forth on this, but in the end I think all we'd do is prove the OP's point. There probably is no good definition. I clearly means something different to everyone.

When I purchased my new seersucker suit a few weeks ago I was told by the salesman at the store (whom I had purchased a number of items from in the past) that he thought that I was "fashion forward" enough to pull off a seersucker suit. Not saying he was right, just that his definition didn't fit with either of ours.
    Salesguy just wasn't Trad enough. :icon_smile_wink:

Sorry, I hardly think of wearing a fedora as either "retro" or "fashion forward". It's classic style and as such is neither in nor out of fashion. Fashion forward is to me reminiscent of the bad designer suits of the '80s too much this/too little that
    Yachtie, maybe it depends on where you live and the circles you travel in. Among certain sets, a fedora might be classic. Where I live, however, it is definitely fashionable, and a fashion-piece, almost a costume piece, worn precisely because it is trendy and signifies--or is supposed to--ironic hipness on the wearer's part. Usually paired w/ a banlon-style shirt and checked pants or baggy shorts. Even if I were inclined to wear a fedora, I probably wouldn't, because I wouldn't want anyone to think I was trying to ape some 20-yr old.:icon_smile:

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MK View Post
    A phase that is bantered around a lot today. Never the less, I have yet to see a decent defination for it. Who has one?
    What I won't wear.:icon_smile_wink:
    Michael

quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"But then, a woman is only a woman and an EG is a shoe." - Will

"If you want a friend ....... buy a dog." - Anonymous

A businessman matches his socks to his pants. A gentleman matches his socks to his mood. - AldenPyle

I believe Jcusey is single-handedly responsible for most if not all of our shoe acquisitions in this forum.Hidden Content

~Alex (Luckyguy)