Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    United States
    State
    OK
    City
    Okc

Default Speakin as a child of the 90s

While Bean boots were seen but scarce, suede bucks were hit and miss, weejuns were non existent, and boat shoes were in a period of dormant status...most of my classmates who had a clue wore either New Balance 580 series (preferably the 585 suede leather version) or the New Balance 999.

These were to be worn in conditions so bad that there was barely any tread left on the bottom of the shoe (which is a difficult task with NB shoes), holes in much of the mesh, caked with dirt/beer stains and years of grimey wear, and, finally, white tape around the toes to keep the upper and sole of the shoe close to still being 1 unified piece. About the only think that could be made out was the reflective "N" on the shoe to the untrained eye.

Sadly, my 999s were discarded without my knowledge about 5 years ago by my sig. other during a move. And my 991s just never were quite the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxplayer View Post
    My uncle wore one of these in the 80s. He gave it to me when I was older along with an Obermeyer (I think that was the name) ski coat.
    Anyone have photos of these to post? Thanks.

Country
    United States
    State
    Washington
    City
    Edmonds

I'm still amazed that anyone cares what we wore on campus in the 1980s, and would consider using it as a benchmark for anything. My recollection is that no two people on my campus, or even in my fraternity, dressed exactly alike. This was a small private liberal arts college in New England, named several times in the OPH.

Then again, maybe because I lived in the anthill, none of the ants looked alike to me. Viewed from the perspective of 20 or 25 years later, by someone from a different generation, perhaps all those 80s college guys dressed like each other.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I'm still amazed that anyone cares what we wore on campus in the 1980s, and would consider using it as a benchmark for anything. My recollection is that no two people on my campus, or even in my fraternity, dressed exactly alike. This was a small private liberal arts college in New England, named several times in the OPH.

Then again, maybe because I lived in the anthill, none of the ants looked alike to me. Viewed from the perspective of 20 or 25 years later, by someone from a different generation, perhaps all those 80s college guys dressed like each other.
    I disagree. I graduated HS in '88, and during high school and college, this was very common among most guys, not just my peers. There are, of course, differences to be seen, but it was a widely held look, back in the day!

Country
    United States
    State
    Washington
    City
    Edmonds

Quote Originally Posted by shuman View Post
    this was very common among most guys, not just my peers.
    Sorry, I'm not following you. What do you mean by "this"? What was very common?

Sorry, I'm not following you. What do you mean by "this"? What was very common?
    The look we are discussing. The common thread running through the posts, such as OCBD's and khakis or 501's, crewneck shetlands, etc. Although it was by no means common, it was much more widely accepted than today!

Default 80s

For those of us that were, in college, working in the 80's-some things seemed classic, others seemed like stupid fashion statements ---
    trying to recreate the look has all of the trappings of a costume party-like kids in a highschool trying to do 1950;s day. -their only frame of reference being a DVD of Grease.
    My dad grew up in the 30's and 40's and has no desire to wear a double breasted suit today.

there is some trad in the 80s look but if one is say limited to old magazines or the satirical preppy handbook one is seeing the pop or youth culture side.
    I remember an ocbd flap pocket university brown stripe LL Bean shirt I wore
    in the 80s - you would think everyone wore yellow then.

not

one might have seen a 3 button sack actually made in 75 (w/too wide lapels-but fantastic flannel-try and buy it now!)
    corduroy Levi straight leg and a button down w/ a thinner 1982 tie yet the wearer had 70;s hair-might seem like cognitive dissonance now-not every item of 70s garb dissapeared at the stroke of midnight 1980. and the middle aged trads hung on to well made Ivy League clothes even the 70';s versions. I had a cousins hand me down sack navy blazer w/ patch pocket probably from the late 60s(w/moderate lapel a well made no name)
    what I draw from this is that the real,trads hung on to quality clothing 1920 onward-
    the kids who drive the whole fashion thing wore whatever was mass marketed-it just so happens that some early 80;s stuff miraculously was somewhat occasionally trad.

the 80s -really a mixed bag(although somedays I want my century back)

max

Country
    United States
    State
    FL
    City
    Jax

I am proud to say that most people here at Ole Miss dress very similarly to the outfits described in the 1980s.

However, the thing that has changed the most is jackets. I've never seen anybody wear LL Bean or anything like that. I'd say like 80 percent of the jackets you see today on campus are made by The North Face. A new company called Mountain Hardware is coming up close behind though.

Boat shoes are still popular, but not as popular as the Cole Haan loafer.

Jeans are getting more and more popular, but I wouldn't be caught dead in them. Some people even wear the ripped Abercrombie style ones.

Pretty much all pants are pleated, and most have cuffs. Ralph Lauren is by far the most dominant brand. I'd say probably 75 percent of my clothing is Ralph Lauren.

Unfortunately, pretty much only people in fraternities dress as stated above. There's alot of GDIs who feel it is acceptable to wear American Eagle and Abercrombie.

Country
    Hong Kong
    State
    Kowloon
    City
    Clearwater Bay

Default LA Trad

I went to school in Southern California in the mid to late 1980s. Over the 4 years or so that I was there styles transited from preppy to grunge by way of the surfer look. Levis were the only acceptable jeans, at least through 1989, 501s preferred. Polo was the polo, OCBD and chino, of choice (not to mention the cologne in the green bottle). The big Air Jordan style basketball boot really came in and running shoes were strictly nerd wear. People liked flip flops and madras shorts and, above all, Rayban Wayfarers. There was a particular local affection for a rough woven Mexican style hooded pullover, definitely a surfer influence. By the time I was leaving ca. 1989, flannels and cords and black t-shirts were becoming more the thing, but I dont think that really took off until after Nirvana broke.

Also, Banana Republic was actually good then!
    Last edited by AldenPyle; March 15th, 2007 at 23:45.

Quote Originally Posted by southernstunna View Post
    A new company called Mountain Hardware is coming up close behind though.
    Not a new company at all. They've been making gear that's been popular among mountaineers and climbers for well over a decade. The first Mountain Hardware tent I slept in was just about exactly a decade ago. Single wall mountain tent. Great in the winter, very leaky in the rain. I haven't used it much. In college I was a rock climbing instructor and had a friend that owned the outdoor store in town. He would let us tag along to trade shows and take home the dealer catalogs and place personal orders (at significant discount) when he did the shop orders. Those were very good times.

Not that I re-read you comment I realize that you may mean that it's new that that the clothes are on campus not that the company is new. Hmmmm.......

I started college in 1979, graduated in 1983 and still believe that Levi 501's are the only jeans worth wearing. However I no longer layer my Izod underneath my OCBD underneath my blue blazer...for any reason. I also generally only wear my Topsiders when I'm on the boat. I haven't worn the Polo Green cologne in years, but have started wearing the new Polo Double Black on occasion.
    Last edited by Mark from Plano; March 16th, 2007 at 08:44.

Default I once read ...

somewhere that all Ivy leaguers wore Rolex (steel or steel/gold) - along with their Levis.

Were "Letterman" jackets popular ?

Andrey

Country
    United States
    State
    CA
    City
    San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Khnelben View Post
    somewhere that all Ivy leaguers wore Rolex (steel or steel/gold) - along with their Levis.
    "all" Ivy Leaguers? Um...no. Preposterous.

Quote Originally Posted by Khnelben View Post
    Were "Letterman" jackets popular ?
    Again, no. Unless, perhaps, they were going to a "Happy Days" or "Animal House" party. Which happened all the time, of course.

What's with this interest in historical re-enactment??
    Last edited by HL Poling and Sons; March 17th, 2007 at 12:48.

Country
    United States
    State
    Washington
    City
    Edmonds

The guys really did dress very much alike when I was in prep school (late 1970s to early 1980s). It seemed like everyone had the same Levi's 501 jeans, weejuns, shetland sweaters, candy-striped and solid oxford shirts from Brooks Brothers, and navy flannel blazer from Brooks Brothers.

College was something else again. You never saw so many shades of khaki trousers, and the variety in design was spectacular: on-seam pockets, slanted pockets, and different sorts of belt loops, for example. Some guys wore cuffs and others didn't. There was also a tremendous variety in blue blazers. Blazer buttons, lapels, and shoulders were different from one jacket to the next. Shirts, too. We mostly wore oxford cloth in prep school. But some of the guys in college wore broadcloth button-downs, and in stripes and patterns you couldn't get at Brooks Brothers. There was variety in sweaters as well. Bulky shaker sweaters, shetland sweaters with horizontal stripes, handknit sweaters, and sweaters with and without saddle shoulders. College really opened my 18-year-old eyes to an amazing diversity of clothing styles, compared to prep school where we all shopped in the same Boys' and Brooksgate departments at the same downtown Brooks Brothers.

At prep school, it was very much the Brooks Brothers look. In college however, at least at my college, there was not a single look.

Country
    United States
    State
    Oregon
    City
    Jacksonville

Twice a year my mom would send a box from LL Bean with 3 blue shirts button down, and 2 pairs of chinos, socks and sweaters. I had an account through my dad at Brooks and occasionally called a girl named Cameron there who would send me shirts. I did not abuse that privilege.

I wore topsiders(which bore me now), including the white/yellow topsider laceups, weejuns, Nike running shoes, and cowboy boots. My BB "fun shirts" swiped out of my dad's closet were a hit. I wore 501's and chinos almost exclusively. Also had some Jack Purcells. I liked cardigans with T shirts as well. I did not like labels on the polos so I gave my alligator shirts to a label conscious roomate, and went for the LL Bean polos. I had one gray sack suit, one blue blazer, 2 pairs of gray flannels, one pair of cords, and a tweed sportscoat, and a cordoroy sport coat. My shetland crew sweaters had leather pathes on the elbows put on when they started to wear. My clothes were very nice, but I was always climbing trees or getting my clothes pulled off me in college so you could often find a pocket torn or some such thing.

I guess I was a western prep look...layered the polos under an OC shirt, and with khakis (loose) would wear a sweater and carry a leather book pack that was also a hit. My hair was rarely combed and was a but shaggy but still neat. I also wore frequently a Levi jacket over OC shirt or sweater combo. I wore my San Francisco Giants hats and still do. I wore pilot sun glasses.

Still me sans the topsiders and sans the torn shirts.

Default 80's re enactment

..........".What's with this interest in historical re-enactment??[/QUOTE]

you said it better than I could have.
    there was no "one look" -in fact regional variaton in dress, may have been more prevalent then than now.
    In some respects I dont want to re live that time.

At prep school, it was very much the Brooks Brothers look. In college however, at least at my college, there was not a single look.
    I agree, and could make the same destinction between my college and high school. My high school had mostly similarly dressed students, but it wasnt until college that I discovered the daily wearing of khakis, rather than jeans, and non-labeled clothing. Appropriateness of wearing certain things at certain times. In HS, jeans were worn for almost everything, khakis were considered dress pants. Today, many ask why i'm so dressed up when wearing khakis and an OCBD w/ sweater.

During college was when I first started to care about clothing, and to notice that what I was wearing was different than some other students. My fraternity encouraged collared shirts, and jeans could only be worn at certain times. It wasnt preppy or snobby, but out of respect for the organization we were dealing with, representing ourselves, and out of respect for the ladies, both your housemother or the ladies we would be accompanying.

University really opened my eyes to different lifestyles and ways of dressing.

I agree, and could make the same destinction between my college and high school. My high school had mostly similarly dressed students, but it wasnt until college that I discovered the daily wearing of khakis, rather than jeans, and non-labeled clothing. Appropriateness of wearing certain things at certain times. In HS, jeans were worn for almost everything, khakis were considered dress pants. Today, many ask why i'm so dressed up when wearing khakis and an OCBD w/ sweater.

During college was when I first started to care about clothing, and to notice that what I was wearing was different than some other students. My fraternity encouraged collared shirts, and jeans could only be worn at certain times. It wasnt preppy or snobby, but out of respect for the organization we were dealing with, representing ourselves, and out of respect for the ladies, both your housemother or the ladies we would be accompanying.

University really opened my eyes to different lifestyles and ways of dressing. My clothing choices havent changed much, less logos and more quality choices, made to last. I was fortunate to grow up during the late 70's, and 80's when the prep/ trad look was popular. Good options, as many of us know, are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

Country
    United States
    State
    Washington
    City
    Edmonds

Quote Originally Posted by HL Poling and Sons View Post
    "all" Ivy Leaguers? Um...no. Preposterous.
    Agreed. Preposterous. Thousands of students at eight different universities in seven different states, all wearing the same brand of watch? Think about that for a moment.

BB/Bean OCBD
    Khakis-flat and pleated
    grosgrain belts
    no socks
    weejuns/topsiders/Stan Smiths
    Shetland sweaters
    Bean boots
    Anoraks-mine was from The Gap! and was navy with a Kelly green placket
    College sweatshirt
    Levis-501's were the choice but you did not see jeans often
    driving caps
    Wayfarers
    patch madras shorts, pants and shirts..though not at the same time!

Default my 80's collegient attire

Bean polo shirts

weejuns, sperry topsiders ( no other boat shoe will do - still wear them only)

bean boots , puma super vilas

white and blue buttoned downs

Bean baxter State parka's

levi 501s, duck head chinos -tan, navy, olive, bright green

my personal touch -rugby shorts

also having your boxers hang below your shorts (Not me)

Default My outerwear from the early to mid 1980s included:

• Gerry down jacket;
    • L.L. Bean down vest;
    • Lands End Squall Jacket;
    • Champion reverse weave hooded sweatshirt;
    • Levi's denim jacket;
    • J.C. Penney cape shoulder jacket (don't recall what it was called in the 80s);
    • Grey herringbone wool overcoat, mid-calf length;
    • Navy wool overcoat, mid-calf length;
    • Navy blazer; and
    • Brown tweed sport coat
    In the mid-80s, the wool overcoat (especially secondhand) had become so popular on campus that some students wore it through the month of April.

In the early 1980s, L.L. Bean sold a lightweight hooded parka that had multiple pockets and a zipper. I believe Jason Alexander's character, "George Costanza," wore something similar to it during the early years of Seinfeld. Does anyone remember the name of the coat?

In the late 1980s, Nautlius has a popular green-colored winter jacket. Does anyone recall the name of that coat?

The look at Hillsdale College in Michigan from 1985-89 included much of what has already been mentioned.

Shirts - OCBD, polos & RL Plaid button downs. Also, a lot of guys had those crazy OCBD that had like 4 or 5 different patterns put together like patchwork. I think those were either BB or Polo.

Pants - Levi's 501's were the standard jean, but Girbaud's were worn by those who were a little more fashion forward - this was also the era of stonewashing! Chinos were very popular and the real preps and kids from Grosse Pointe or Bloomfield Hills wore RL or Duckheads while the rest of us went to The Gap (which was very preppy back in the day). Some people wore cords with embroidered ducks or tennis racquets and we all wore gray flannels to dress up with a tie and blue blazer.

Shoes - Nike and Reebok tennis shoes were pretty popular. LL Bean blucher mocs were popular with guys and girls and some wore camp mocs instead. When it snowed, everyone broke out their Maine Hunting Boots (girls wore the short versions and the guys all tucked their jeans into the 8" ones). As for dress shoes, I don't think anyone ever went more formal than penny or tassel loafers.

Jackets - The one thing I haven't seen in this thread is a discussion of the prevalence of leather bomber jackets. They were very popular at my school. In fact the standard winter uniform for guys was jeans or khakis, Bean boots, OCBD, wool crew neck sweater or heavy sweatshirt, baseball cap (with greek letters), Ray-Ban aviators and leather bomber jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffdaddy View Post
    What was that ski jacket (usually red) that everybody used to have? Used to have the tag at the back of the neck?

The name escapes me.

Love the list, egadfly, but please don't forget the Vuarnet cat's-eye sunglasses!

CB was the brand of those jackets, which I think is Cutter & Buck who usually make golf clothes for Pro shops these days.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123