Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shirt Monogramming

Would you recommend having dress shirts monogramed. If so is this looked upon as being preppy or does it symbolize looking professional. Where did having shirts monogrammed originate from.

Thanks

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    New Hampshire
    City
    Hampton

I personaly don't like visible monograms. I guess that the origin was in the times when shirts were laundered together, so you can tell yours apart from the others.

I still think that they can be stylish if done well.
    -Ex falso quodlibet-

Talking

I pass, and heres my reasoning. Some people see monograms as ostentation and walk away with a negative impression. Now, take the small mount of money saved and translate it into a tie, shoe care kit etc that help build a positive impression. And never, ever forget Scarlett's reaction counting Bellle Watling's contribution in a cologne soaked handkerchief monogrammed R.B.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Palm Desert

ronrex:

Some info on monograms from The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:

Monograms (your initials embroidered) on your shirts were originally so that you got YOUR shirts back from the laundry. They were also standard on custom-made shirts and the real reason for their popularity and aura.

“Monogram” means “to mark with a design composed of one or more letters, typically the initials of a name”. The word comes from the Greek “mono”, + “gramma”; meaning “one letter”.

In recent years monograms have been regarded as ostentatious, especially initials on a shirt cuff. If you really want a monogram, the more acceptable are those not easily seen, like on the pocket of a shirt or best -- centered five or six inches up from the waist on the left side between the pocket (or if no pocket, where it would have been) and waist.
    Andy
    Hidden Content
    Products reviewed may be furnished by their makers, sometimes at no cost to the reviewer, or be purchased by the reviewer. The review is strictly the personal opinion of the reviewer.
    AskAndyAboutClothes strongly encourages all members to enhance our reviews by posting their individual experiences with reviewed products.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Bayside

I like monograms sometimes.It represents the feeling of being important and professional.

Thumbs up

Do it, way too many people wear other peoples names/initials on their clothes..

I am not a fan of monograms myself, but my uncle knows a guy who has a Korean monogram on his shirt cuff. My uncle asked about if the guy had any Korean ancestry. The guy replied "I'm not Korean, but my dry cleaner is, the monogram translates to No f'n starch." I might consider that one :icon_smile_wink:

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Personally I would pass on the monogram...it just sends the wrong message.

I would skip the shirt cuff as well. Those are normally aplied by machine and lack originality, IMO.

I've done the method Andy suggested and liked it, but I'm still a fan of having the monogram on the forearm ala the Fred Astaire picture in Dressing the Man.

I think the inside yoke placement is also nice if you pefer your monogram a bit more private.

Country
    United States
    State
    WV
    City
    Huntington

Default They're fine. Try them out.

This distinguished Forum is usually split on the monogram issue and the topic comes up bi-monthly, more or less. For the record, I have about half of my shirts monogrammed and always on the cuff (half are on the left cuff and half on the right). Generally, the monogram's color is close to the color of the shirt cuff. My monograms are smallish and in a nice script or in square letters. They look great and if anyone is put off by them, or thinks they are in bad taste, I have not heard about it except in discussions here. Film Noir Buff loathes monograms, for example.

On the other hand, mine are often complimented when noticed, which is only part of the time anyway. I find that they attract more interest and appreciation when I am in big cities on business though, than when at my office here. Perhaps locals are used to seeing me wearing them.

Regardless, I love the styles and methods of menswear of the 1930's and monograms were quite fashionable then among the era's well dressed gents. Thus, for me, in that monograms were good enough for Cary Grant, Fred Astaire, William Powell, et al, well, they should certainly be good enough for me. Frankly, I think they are pretty cool if toned down a bit. Also, women seem to love them, i.e. my wife always prefers that I wear a monogrammed shirt when we are going out! So, please give them a try and see how they work for you.

Kind regards,
    Dan

12. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)

i have my dress shirts monogrammed and i don't really mind coz: a. its free anyway, and b. i just damn feel like it.
    ďThe only man who behaved sensibly was my tailor; he took my measurement anew every time he saw me, while all the rest went on with their old measurements and expected them to fit me.Ē

George Bernard Shaw

Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Houston

No monograms. However, hidden nametags are okay.

M8

Personally I don't care for them and a lot of people consider them to be the height of gauche so I've never bothered.

If you really like them, consider the fact that many people will form an impression of you that you probably don't want to give.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    New York

Thumbs down I vote no.

I used to monogram my shirts, but I stopped doing it.

My former bespoke salesman at Turnbull never had them. He felt that they were showy. None of his fellow salesmen had them.

My MTM salesman at Brooks doesn't have them because "I know who am I, and I don't need a reminder."

I knew a prominent criminal lawyer who recently passed away who used to have the monogram on his cuff. I would say that a monogram on the cuff is gauche.

Whenever I see Mayor Bloomberg without his coat you see his monogram on his white shirt. I think that it reinforces his image that he's a rich guy, and you're not.

I think that a hidden monogram is cool. I have also seen mongrams hidden under the label.

Visible monograms call attention to yourself which is contrary to the idea of being well dressed. (Remember Beau Brummell's dictum that if someone turns his head to see your clothes then you are not well dressed.)
    Mark E. Seitelman
    Hidden Content

I would say as an exception that a white monogram on a white shirt some place other than the cuff can be pretty cool.

Country
    United States
    State
    Ca
    City
    San francisco

I like them inside the collar instead of the maker's advertisement.
    Will's thoughts on dressing with style.
    Hidden Content

Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Lansing

I think that monograms are a bit too showy, myself.

However, if you really want one, there are far worse fashion sins.

I'm of two minds on this issue . . .

Sometimes it is pulled off and sometimes it isn't.

A monogram on an ill-fitting, oxford cloth, button-down shirt screams "buy me a tie with golfers or ducks on it".

Other's, however, are able to pull off a monogram with style. But, it has to be a part of a total package.

If I have a shirt monogrammed, it is on the inside yoke or on the front left below the waist. In other words, they're there, but they don't show because I don't want to be in category one and I usually don't dress formally enough to pull off category 2.

Country
    United States
    State
    Pennsylvania
    City
    Sunbury

What about on the left sleeve, outboard side, 'round-about the elbow or a little lower?
    Kindly,

AQG

"There are some who call me...Tim..." Tim the Enchanter.

Smile shirt monogram

I wear only French cuff shirts with the left cuff monogramed in small block letters. I am now retired, but ran my own business for 25 years. I never heard an ill word about wearing French cuffs or having monograms. I probably wouuld have continued this practice if I had heard negative comments since I would never dress to pacify the opinion of others. I can say with surety that I have had many opening coversations with women who commented on the French cuffs and links or the mogram.

I wear a monogram on a large portion of my dress shirts - on the lower left hand side, slightly above the waiste. This started when I was young and lived at home. It was done to distinguish my shirts from my father's and brothers'. I continued it when I lived at home for a few months shortly after college. I guess I just continued the practice. Now, I almost feel like I am wearing someone else's shirt if its not on there.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    East Hampton

Quote Originally Posted by acidicboy View Post
    i have my dress shirts monogrammed and i don't really mind coz: a. its free anyway, and b. i just damn feel like it.
    I don't give a crap about whether they're free or not but the reason you wear them is the only damn reason to do so. FTW!

Hidden Content
    Kabbaz-Kelly & Sons Fine Custom Clothiers

Alexander S. Kabbaz ~ Joelle M. Kelly
    * Bespoke Shirts & Furnishings * Bresciani Italian Underwear *
    * Alex Begg Cashmere * Marcoliani, Bresciani, & Kabbaz-Kelly Socks *
    * Alpo Guanti Gloves * Gran Sasso Italian Cashmere Sweaters *
    * Kabbaz-Kelly Bespoke Braces * Kabbaz-Kelly Lingerie *

Country
    United States
    State
    virginia
    City
    richmond

For 25 years I have buying custom shirts by Pearly Gates in the same basic style: french cuffs, inverted pleat back and monogram undercased, left hand side, six buttons down above the belt line, contrasting color thread and with a variety of collars.
    ghw

Country
    United States
    State
    Pennsylvania
    City
    Wilkes Barre

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz View Post
    I don't give a crap about whether they're free or not but the reason you wear them is the only damn reason to do so. FTW!

Nice conversational piece

I also agree.
    Though, not with the link cuffs

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Bayside

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz View Post

What does ASK stand for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast