Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Woodbury

Default What to wear to a Golf Tournament?

All -

This is a question less about sartorialism than about practicality.

I am taking several clients to the US Open this weekend. There will be the requisite "Corporate Hospitality Tents" as well as time as members of the gallery on the course.

What does one wear to such a thing ... especially what shoes?

I'm pretty sure that chinos/polo shirts will be fine -- perhaps a sweater if its cool. I am more concerned about what kind of shoes to select. If were were golfing, that's a no-brainer - I'd wear golf cleats. But since we'll be doing a lot of walking and standing, presumably on grass, I'm not sure which way to go.

Sneakers?
    Chukka boots?

Inputs welcome here.
    Last edited by IotaNet; June 13th, 2016 at 05:15.
    "Courtesy is as much a mark of a Gentleman as courage"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Country
    United States
    State
    Dixie
    City
    The Ham

I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds spikeless golf shoes just for similar circumstances. They are attractive and comfortable while still showing respect for the conditions of the fairways and greens. As for the rest of your attire, does your company have logo golf shirts? If not, it would be a wise investment if you guys regularly entertain / sponsor events at golf tournaments. I also wear a wide-brim golf hat to protect my head.

Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Houston

You'll find a lot of people actually wear golf shoes to tournaments. Part of the reason is for traction and water protection. Some courses are hilly and you won't be walking on paved surfaces, so to keep from slipping the cleats are helpful. Also, if you are there first thing in the morning, the morning dew will soak your feet if you don't have some water protection.
    Last edited by tokyogator; June 13th, 2016 at 11:43.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    East Amherst

Chinos/chino shorts with a polo shirt is perfect. Sneakers are acceptable or spikeless golf shoes.

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

spikeless golf shoes would be my choice. Or golf shoes with removable spikes.

Country
    United States
    State
    Wisconsin
    City
    Madison

Sunscreen. Everybody forgets. Be a hero.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Lafayette

Wear sneakers or bucks.

IMHO, the spikes on spectators looked foolish, its not that hilly and you're really going to be in the tent for the most part.

Country
    United States
    State
    Dixie
    City
    The Ham

Quote Originally Posted by qtlaw24 View Post
    Wear sneakers or bucks.

IMHO, the spikes on spectators looked foolish, its not that hilly and you're really going to be in the tent for the most part.
    Hence the spikeless golf shoe suggestions.

Country
    United States
    State
    PA
    City
    DuBois

Dayam good topic! I will be at the Open on Friday, and I hadn't given any thought at all as to attire. So: tennis shoes, chinos and polo shirt (plus obligatory US Open ball cap!).

Country
    United States
    State
    PA
    City
    DuBois

Just saw WTAE (local Pittsburgh TV station) bit on the Open. Anyhow, if one wishes to look like one of the course workers, then, it is white tennis shoes, khaki's, light blue polo with dark blue collar. You'll have to pick up the current US Open mesh ball cap, but I would bet the attire will open some "doors" to you not available to us mere spectators!

(This is posted only for the more adventurous among us-and I'm wondering if such a get up would permit one to waltz around with a glass of favorite beverage and a cigar!).

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    Canada
    State
    ON
    City
    Oakville

NOT SNEAKERS.

Country
    United States
    State
    FL
    City
    West Coast

Most men will be wearing shorts, a polo/golf shirt, and running shoes/sneakers.

Country
    United States
    State
    Dixie
    City
    The Ham

Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    Most men will be wearing shorts, a polo/golf shirt, and running shoes/sneakers.
    Don't confuse Oakmont, PA, with Ponte Vedra, FL.

Country
    United States
    State
    FL
    City
    West Coast

Quote Originally Posted by drlivingston View Post
    Don't confuse Oakmont, PA, with Ponte Vedra, FL.
    One of my regular golfing partners belongs to Oakmont. The gallery is largely the same at any PGA event. The exclusivity of the course doesn't matter. The spectators are there to watch, not play.

Country
    United States
    State
    Dixie
    City
    The Ham

One of my regular golfing partners belongs to Oakmont. The gallery is largely the same at any PGA event. The exclusivity of the course doesn't matter. The spectators are there to watch, not play.
    Of course, you are correct, FLMike. I was just having a little fun. Yes, a large majority of the crowd will be wearing the uniform that you described. My original post (including spikeless golf shoes) was geared toward someone who would be entertaining clients at the event. I commonly wear plus 4s when I hit the links. However, I would never wear them as a spectator. Nor would I endorse a member of the gallery wearing standard golf shoes. I wore spikes when I served as a marshal during a senior PGA tournament. They were a fitting part of my attire because of my duties.

Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Woodbury

Quote Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
    NOT SNEAKERS.
    Why not?

There are a surprising number of places on the Internet with this question is asked. Obviously, I'm not the only one who is in this situation. You'd be amazed at the amount of passion there is surrounding this question -- especially regarding shoes. In a number of quarters, golf shoes of any kind as a spectator are considered totally déclassé.

I actually called Oakmont and the reply I received was Tennis Shoes/Sneakers. That's actually pleasing because I was not interested in spending $150 on a pair of spikeless golf shoes for this event that I'd never wear again.
    Last edited by IotaNet; June 14th, 2016 at 07:14.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Country
    Canada
    State
    ON
    City
    Oakville

Quote Originally Posted by IotaNet View Post
    Why not?

There are a surprising number of places on the Internet with this question is asked. Obviously, I'm not the only one who is in this situation. You'd be amazed at the amount of passion there is surrounding this question -- especially regarding shoes. In a number of quarters, golf shoes of any kind as a spectator are considered totally déclassé.

I actually called Oakmont and the reply I received was Tennis Shoes/Sneakers. That's actually pleasing because I was not interested in spending $150 on a pair of spikeless golf shoes for this event that I'd never wear again.
    Most people dress like slobs and if you dress like one too, you will fit right in. No doubt tank tops, t-shirts, sneakers, sandals and such will be prevalent and raise nary an eyebrow. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I assume (occasionally quite incorrectly) that someone posting a thread on AAAC wishes to aim for a standard somewhat above that of the spectacularly clueless masses. Particularly when considering best attire for HOSTING clients at the US FREAKING Open.

Decent khakis and polo combined with a quality pair of loafers or chukkas will make you look like a grown-up who has some sense of occasion and a modicum of sartorial awareness. Leave the sneakers for when you are actively engaged in a sporting activity that requires such.

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

While spikeless golf shoes are ideal, be mindful of the venue and the fact that you'll be walking on grass and perhaps dirt. Some inclines and if on wet grass, you'll want traction.

I think chukka boots or something with a sole designed to offer some purchase to the ground. I'm sure you'll find something appropriate.

Have fun.

Country
    United States
    State
    FL
    City
    West Coast

Most people dress like slobs and if you dress like one too, you will fit right in. No doubt tank tops, t-shirts, sneakers, sandals and such will be prevalent and raise nary an eyebrow......
    This is not the case....not in the least. Please report back on the number of tank tops, or even t-shirts, you see being worn at the next PGA event you attend. It doesn't even have to be the US Open. I'd be surprised if the number were even into the double-digits. Golf is a gentleman's sport, and the majority of people who follow it with enough interest that they would go to the trouble of actually attending a tournament are typically going to comport themselves with a higher degree of etiquette, including their sartorial standards.

Usually, for men, that translates to the same type of clothing they would wear while actually playing golf.....golf/polo shirts with chinos or chino/golf shorts. When it comes to footwear, I agree with the consensus opinion that IotaNet read somewhere that golf shoes for a spectator are kind of silly, no matter the type of sole. On the other hand, there's a good chance that you'll be walking a lot, which makes athletic shoes (running shoes in my case) highly appropriate.

If you are part of a corporate hospitality situation, where you're part of the group doing the hosting/entertaining (as opposed to being entertained), then it could be appropriate to up your game a notch. Maybe some chinos (if it's not too hot) and loafers/bucks, rather than shorts and running shoes. Having said that, its still an outdoor sporting event, so there's no need to overdo it.
    Last edited by FLMike; June 14th, 2016 at 09:16.

Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Woodbury

Most people dress like slobs and if you dress like one too, you will fit right in. No doubt tank tops, t-shirts, sneakers, sandals and such will be prevalent and raise nary an eyebrow. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I assume (occasionally quite incorrectly) that someone posting a thread on AAAC wishes to aim for a standard somewhat above that of the spectacularly clueless masses. Particularly when considering best attire for HOSTING clients at the US FREAKING Open.

Decent khakis and polo combined with a quality pair of loafers or chukkas will make you look like a grown-up who has some sense of occasion and a modicum of sartorial awareness. Leave the sneakers for when you are actively engaged in a sporting activity that requires such.
    What is all of this?

In my original post I said, "I'm pretty sure that chinos/polo shirts will be fine -- perhaps a sweater if its cool. I am more concerned about what kind of shoes to select."

I called Oakmont to ask about shoes and they said "Sneakers/Tennis shoes." I fail to see how a pair of pristine, white, leather tennis shoes make me look like a "slob." I am also less inclined to wear a pair of chukka boots on a golf course because my research tells me that the grass in the galleries can be wet (morning dew) and messy/muddy due to all of the foot traffic. I'd rather not subject my suede Chukkas to that.

I realize that we are sartorialists here but sometimes we need to take a step back, breathe, and leave our judgmental rhetoric behind.
    Last edited by IotaNet; June 14th, 2016 at 09:11.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Country
    United States
    State
    FL
    City
    West Coast

Quote Originally Posted by IotaNet View Post
    I realize that we are sartorialists here but sometimes we need to take a step back, breathe, and leave our judgmental rhetoric behind.
    Amen, brother. Sneakers at a golf tourney are just good common sense...doesn't mean you're automatically defaulting to the lowest common denominator.

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

Not to wade into a food fight, but a properly treated pair of chukkas should be just fine. Assuming of course that the sole is appropriate for such terrain.

Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Woodbury

Quote Originally Posted by SG_67 View Post
    Not to wade into a food fight, but a properly treated pair of chukkas should be just fine. Assuming of course that the sole is appropriate for such terrain.
    Understood. Part of the trick here is the difference between what's worn on the course vs. in the Hospitality Tent. The tent piece, I'm very comfortable with. I'm not sure if there will be cement floors or not be even still, it will be much more of a controlled, dry, environment. Walking the course along with hundreds of others presents more of a dilemma. As I mentioned, there is much debate all over the Interwebs about this:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic...s-a-spectator/

http://www.golflink.com/how_710_dres...olf-event.html

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-s...olf-Tournament

There are lots of different ideas here. I've settled on Chinos, Polo Shirts, Chukkas for the tent, Sneakers for walking the course.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    East Amherst

It's golf tournament. I've attended a few myself. Chino pants/shorts with a polo shirt and nice sneakers/spikeless golf shoes is the appropriate attire. I would not recommend chukkas.

Country
    Canada
    State
    ON
    City
    Oakville

Amen, brother. Sneakers at a golf tourney are just good common sense...doesn't mean you're automatically defaulting to the lowest common denominator.
    Sneakers are one rung above the lowest common denominator - sandals.

And the idea that one 'needs' sneakers to walk a golf course as a spectator is patently ludicrous.
    Last edited by RogerP; June 14th, 2016 at 09:44.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast