Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Detroit

Default The Trad Wheat Jeans thread

Looking to start a new thread with posts related to wheat / white denim. I think members would particularly enjoy seeing examples, past and present, of wheat denim incorporated in a Trad ensemble.

To start, here is an Ivy League image:

I'm looking forward to seeing other examples.
    Seeking 39R jackets. Sucker for Harris Tweed.
    "People will stare, make it worth their while." Harry Winston

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Fading Fast View Post
    I don't have the pictorial evidence, but sincerely believe I have seen pictures (and even movies from the 50s) that show college kids in wheat-colored jeans. I own a few pairs and wear them with shetlands and sport coats for a casual off-shoot of the Trad / Ivy look. I believe OCBD knows something about wheat jeans and their Ivy history (but I might be wrong about that as I'm doing this all from memory).

Happen to have a shot of my wheat jean. I really love the flecks of color in them. I think I used this picture in a thread we had going about button fly pants at some point:

FF, what brand of jean is the example pictured? J Crew?

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Verona

Posted in related thread, but contains Take Ivy pics - however, hard to tell if wheat jeans or khakis, as in your photo as well. Either way, I like them.

http://www.ivy-style.com/the-end-is-...eans-post.html

Country
    United States
    State
    Ohio
    City
    Main Street USA

Wheat jeans are also popular with the Surf Ivy/West Coast Ivy Beach Boys look. http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewt...p?id=18570&p=1
    Hidden Content
    More of a Traditional
    &
    Less of a Preppy Blog

Country
    United States
    State
    GA
    City
    Athens

Sure, why not?

"I think Hidden Content is past GTH and straight into FU. At any rate, I don't think there is any appropriate aesthetic criteria for judging that jacket. It represents the pure will to power. As Nietzsche said, that which is made from patchwork exists beyond good and bad." ~Hidden Content

Country
    United States
    State
    Colorado
    City
    Northern Colorado

Wheat jeans have been popular in the West for at least fifty years. I was not aware of the earlier Ivy associations. I have five pairs that I still wear in rotation with different tops, especially Pendletons and flannels.

Country
    United States
    State
    Oregon
    City
    Medford

This weekend I was wearing old Mervyn's white/tan jeans, they still fit.

Country
    Christmas Island
    State
    N/A
    City
    N/A

Nick Hilton wrote about wheat jeans hitting the East Coast in the early 60s -- a way of getting back at Trad Dad. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeans in Suburbia -- A Personal History by Nick Hilton
    I bought my first pair of blue jeans at the Hill School campus store. They were white. Off-white, really. The company called them “White Levi’s.” It was printed right on the tag, though they really were a beige color. Southern kids called them Wheat Jeans. I wore them home to Rumson for Christmas vacation, and to a RHS basketball game. People – girls – asked, “Where’d you get those pants!” White Levi’s hadn’t made it to Red Bank. The experience! My first sartorial thrill, wearing something new, totally cool! An antidote for teen-age angst. I picked up Louise Winters, my date, and her old man answered the door, Martini in one hand, Marlboro in the other; asked with a withering look, “Where’d you get those pants?” and that completely sealed it. Nasty old drunk, icon of a generation, embarrassing his daughter. His disdain was my merit badge. This guy, in his Hunter green blazer with the golf-club crest, white turtleneck and corduroy pants with the duck embroidery! If this old fogy had a problem with what I was wearing, it meant something. Gave me confidence in my own style. Still have it. So it was in the 60s, between The Beach Boys and Dylan that the jean made it to suburbia. No longer the attire of beatniks, cowboys and coal miners, it was only a matter of time – thirty-five years or so – until fathers – like me – answering the doors for their daughters’ dates, were wearing jeans. But the ones we’re wearing, “designed” by Europeans and hand-sanded to look worn-out, cost ten times what we paid for our White Levi’s. We may be gullible, but we’re way kinder.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Verona

Where do you guys buy your Levi's? The numbers are confusing, so Amazon seems like not the best option.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Gulf Breeze

Quote Originally Posted by phillytrad View Post
    Where do you guys buy your Levi's? The numbers are confusing, so Amazon seems like not the best option.
    501 is the only number you need to know!
    Michael

12. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    United States
    State
    Intermountain West
    City
    A valley along a canyon

Growing up on the SoCal coast in the 60's, wheat/khaki color 'jeans' were very popular and, in my world, were kind of the base pant for the west coast prep look of the time. In my high school annual (Uni in WLA), most of the guys are wearing wheat/khaki jeans. Blue jeans were not allowed at that time. Lots of the surfer look had the wheats, a Pendleton, JCPenney crew neck t-shirt, white crew socks, and a variety of boat style sneakers, penny loafers, Purcells, and Converse (All-Stars), that latter two always being white).

I still have a couple pairs of 'wheat' denims (Wrangler pre-washed tan) which I am comfortable wearing with an ocbd. Blue jeans, not so much.
    Last edited by CSG; March 29th, 2016 at 14:08.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Bayside

What are wheat jeans?

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

“My boyfriend’s always wearin’ white Levi’s…and his tennis shoes and his surfin’ hat and a big plaid Pendleton shirt.”

Country
    United States
    State
    Intermountain West
    City
    A valley along a canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    What are wheat jeans?
    Light tan/off-white jeans. 9cb1110003bb4c13413f8175f7250bca.jpg

Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Detroit

Before he started wearing leather pants and became The Lizard King, our young hero wore wheat denim (and dressed quite Trad):

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    New York City

I have a pair of wheat/khaki jeans and a pair of cream/natural jeans - the latter is many years old, the former just a couple. I wear them very casually and infrequently - errands, around the house, etc.

I'm a confirmed jeans hater, but these are somehow different...

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by gamma68 View Post

Those are J Crew.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Goleta

Forgot I had these until digging through my jeans drawer this morning:

A bit wrinkled but decided they're worth wearing today anyway. Off-white herringbone 513s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WTB: Slim fit OCBDs or BCBDs 15.5x34

Country
    United States
    State
    GA
    City
    Athens

Another round of the wheat wranglers:

With a Brooks Brothers blue OCBD, a Brooks/Pendleton belt, and AE burgundy shell patriots
    "I think Hidden Content is past GTH and straight into FU. At any rate, I don't think there is any appropriate aesthetic criteria for judging that jacket. It represents the pure will to power. As Nietzsche said, that which is made from patchwork exists beyond good and bad." ~Hidden Content

Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Detroit

^ That's a very nice casual look, Reuben. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of those Wranglers, but do they have any color flecks? I really dig the flecks in FFs pair (pictured above), but J Crew is much more expensive and the fit doesn't always work for me.

Country
    United States
    State
    GA
    City
    Athens

^ That's a very nice casual look, Reuben. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of those Wranglers, but do they have any color flecks? I really dig the flecks in FFs pair (pictured above), but J Crew is much more expensive and the fit doesn't always work for me.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    NY

Gamma, sorry for the slow response - somehow, I missed this thread entirely. SG67 is correct, they are J.Crew. They are two or three years old, so this exact pair isn't carried anymore, but this is a link to a very similar pair:

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...0640/A0640.jsp

I bought them on a deep sale - don't remember anymore exactly how much, but I know I paid less than $100 because I will not pay more than that for jeans as most of my jeans cost less than $50. That said, these seemed to have enough going on to justify a higher price - plus I wanted the button fly and the "right" wheat color which these have. I am really happy with them. They are a substantial weight, the "right" wheat color and fit (me) well.

Howard, to your question, I think wheat jeans are denim pants (meaning "jean" material) that are dyed wheat or off-white in color versus blue as most jeans are. So, effectively, they are just like regular jeans, but "wheat" colored.

Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Kinda hard to tell from the photo, but I'll take it as a "yes."

Country
    United States
    State
    Intermountain West
    City
    A valley along a canyon

I have a couple pairs of the Wranglers tan jeans. These are what guys who want to wear denim but not blue jeans wear. I love 'em.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    NY

...I really dig the flecks in FFs pair (pictured above), but J Crew is much more expensive and the fit doesn't always work for me.
    I'm with you - the flecks make a big difference. As to the price, I agree, at full price they are really expensive. I bought mine when J.Crew did one of its end-of-season big markdowns (where they have a separate sale section and the stuff is usually marked down a few times to half or less of the original price). Hopefully, they'll do that again and you can grab a pair then. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast