Country
    United States
    State
    NC
    City
    Raleigh

Default My tour of the Allen Edmonds manufacturing facility (a.k.a. "heaven")

Recently, it was my pleasure to tour the Allen Edmonds manufacturing facility in Port Washington, Wisconsin. Six hours flew by in a blur of beautiful leather, whirring machinery and more information than either my pen or my cellphone camera could keep up with. AskAndyAboutClothes founder Andy Gilchrist, who has very kindly mentored me as I’ve started my own blog (see note below), invited me to share my experience with my fellow AAAC forum members.

First, however, I’d like to mention that I’m not actually a fellow at all. I am a female professional who happens to love fine men’s dress shoes. By day, I am responsible for U.S. internal communications for a 145,000 person global company: I craft corporate messaging, create content for the company intranet, and plan events.

By night, I research and write about shoes and shoe construction, which is how I discovered these forums. I have learned so much here, from many of you. It seems that every time I Google a term or question – Goodyear versus Blake welt, the difference between an oxford and a derby (or “balmoral” and “blucher,” as some prefer), straight lacing or crisscross – an AAAC forum entry pops up and the information is right there at my fingertips. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience!

As for why I love men’s dress shoes, well, I love them for all the same reasons you do: They are beautifully classic, elegant, and comfortable. They are more than a fashion statement: They are armor, and no less so for me than for you. The British designer Edwin Hardy Amies once said “It is totally impossible to be well-dressed in cheap shoes,” and he was right.

Unfortunately, most women’s shoes are just that, cheap. Even the expensive ones are cheaply made, using cement construction. If they were comfortable, women wouldn’t carry their shoes to work in a bag or keep a pair of slippers underneath their desks. That’s the main reason I love men’s shoes: One can actually wear them.

When I decided to buy a pair of men’s shoes for myself, I turned to Allen Edmonds for help. I went to a store, and the manager measured my foot and helped me choose a style that could be custom ordered in my size, 6 ½ B. My Park Avenues came, it was love at first step, and I became a fan for life.

I admire Allen Edmonds for so many reasons: The customer experience, the handcrafting, the heritage of being founded in 1922 and still manufacturing in the U.S. So, when I needed to go to Milwaukee for business anyway, I was thrilled when the friend of a coworker offered me a tour.

And what a tour it was. The first people I was introduced to were Colin Hall, Chief Marketing Officer, and Jim Kass, SVP of manufacturing and design. Jim has worked at Allen Edmonds for more than two decades; Colin was brought on board in 2008, about the same time as CEO Paul Grangaard. If not for their collective efforts, Allen Edmonds might have become another victim of the Great Recession.

Lucky for us, during that dark time, they talked to their core customers, figured out where the brand had gone off track, and course corrected (which included bringing back their famous McAllister model in 2009). Today, Allen Edmonds’ revenues are up and they are in growth mode, responding to expanding demand both overseas and in the U.S.

As I sat there talking to Colin, one question was nagging me, but I was afraid to ask. Would it offend him? I really wanted to know, so I decided to man up. After all, I was wearing my Park Avenues.

“What differentiates an Allen Edmonds from an Alden?” When I was shopping for my first pair of men’s shoes, I had considered buying Alden, which as many of you know, also handcrafts shoes in the U.S. I didn’t, in part because the Alden welt appeared wider, and to me, it made their shoes look chunkier. I love men’s shoes, but I do want them sleek.

Colin didn’t even bat an eye. “They’re both great shoes, and we have nothing but respect for Alden,” he replied. “We both use excellent materials and techniques, and our manufacturing processes are similar.” He went on to explain that for him, the main difference was more about the business model than the shoes. Alden is a family-owned company; Allen Edmonds has been owned since 2006 by private equity. As such, it has certain growth targets it must meet to satisfy its investors.

And then he surprised me. “Our biggest competitor isn’t Alden,” he said. “Our biggest competitor is cheap shoes.”

I understand that. According to the American Apparel & Footwear Association (I am such a geek), 98.5% of shoes sold in the U.S. are imported. For companies like Allen Edmonds, it’s critical that customers see the difference between an American-made, Goodyear-welted calfskin shoe that will last for years, versus the “fast fashion” cheaper versions that may look nice initially but last about as long as a Kleenex at a wedding.

We started my tour, and the first thing he showed me were the leathers. He pointed out some striations in one piece, and explained that they were basically stretch marks that formed as the calf’s belly grew. He chuckled. “Some customers love those ‘lightning bolts’ and request them; others send their shoes back because they perceive them as a defect.”

He mentioned that during the recession, the demand for leathers decreased because auto manufacturers who used it for their leather seats and interiors weren’t buying as much. As a result, the price for cowhide, for example, dropped significantly. Many shoe manufacturers realized bigger margins, because they stocked up on the cheaper cowhide for their products.

Allen Edmonds didn’t join in the windfall, though, because they mostly use the more expensive calfskin. They use cowhide on certain styles when they want the look it provides. Cowhide can wrinkle more over time, and is perfect when one wants a less polished look. Allen Edmonds uses it for some of their Rough Collection, for example. I was impressed that they stayed so committed to quality even when they were struggling.

The welting machine was one piece of machinery I was particularly anticipating. After all, the Goodyear welt is what, in the world of shoes, sets the men apart from the boys. As many of you know, the welt joins the upper, midsole and outsole together via a strip of leather that runs 360 degrees around the perimeter of the shoe. It enables the shoe to be re-soled time and again when the original sole wears out.

The first thing one notices about the welting machines are their age! As you can tell from the photo and 10-second video below, these machines are quite, er, broken in. Colin said that all four of their welting machines are between 50 and 60 years old.

One thing has changed, he said. “Welts used to come in brown or black, period. But now, Allen Edmonds makes them in a wider variety of colors as people’s tastes have become more eclectic. This small detail creates a fresher, more fashion-forward look on styles where the welt is visible.”

One of the biggest surprises was that the number 212 in their famous 212-step process is a minimum, not a hard-and-fast number. My model, the Park Avenue, has 287. The suede, unlined styles – which exist because Jim Kass wanted shoes he could wear sans socks – take closer to the 212. If you think about it, with the range of different shoes Allen Edmonds makes – laceups, driving mocs, golf, boots, handsewns - it only makes sense that some styles require more steps than others.

What really struck me as I witnessed the entire process is that many steps require their own particular piece of machinery, operated by human hands, feet and skill. The level of proficiency these workers exhibit is amazing: The precision required to properly mark, cut, skyve, (thin away some leather in places so it will lie flat) stitch, stamp, and burnish is enormous. There is one correct way to put the welt on, for example, and if the operator makes a mistake, the sole must be manually separated from the upper and the welt re-made, just like it is in the recrafting process.

There is way more to the process than I can include in this post. If you want to see more, this Allen Edmonds video takes you from start to finish. The recrafting video is also very helpful. Some additional photos from my tour are below.

I loved every single minute of my time at the factory. I learned so much, and that Midwestern warmth and can-do attitude emanated from each person I encountered. It was one of those rare experiences that not only lived up to my expectations, but far surpassed them. After my tour, I can honestly say I look at my footwear differently now. They’re not just shoes; they’re someone’s legacy, and I think about that every time I put them on.

If you know anyone who enjoys reading about shoes and fashion for the professional woman, please tell them about my blog, WingtipWomen. I’m also on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @wingtipwomen. Huge thanks to Andy Gilchrist for his encouragement and guidance. And again, thank you, forum members, for sharing your knowledge in this space!

Last edited by Happyboots; August 15th, 2015 at 07:23. Reason: Help! The post is linking to many phrases that I didn't link to! (such as "cellphone camera" and "Great Recession."

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Palm Desert

Happyboots:

A wonderful tour and detailed report. THANKS.

I just got an odd urge to buy some AE shoes! ??
    Andy
    Hidden Content
    Products reviewed may be furnished by their makers, sometimes at no cost to the reviewer, or be purchased by the reviewer. The review is strictly the personal opinion of the reviewer.
    AskAndyAboutClothes strongly encourages all members to enhance our reviews by posting their individual experiences with reviewed products.

Country
    United States
    State
    NC
    City
    Raleigh

Thank YOU, Andy! And I always feel the urge to buy AE!

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

What an impressive post...more than a review of a factory/plant tour, much more. Reading between the lines, one can discern a pretty good underlying philosophy for a good life. Many years ago (15+, I think), it was my great pleasure to tour the Allen Edmonds facility in Port Washington and in the years since, I've travelled back to Port Washington to attend AE's Tent Sales and visit their Shoe Bank, perhaps a half dozen times. What a place...it's like enjoying the opportunity to pay a short visit to shoe heaven. As Andy intoned, between Happy Boots post and AE's new version of the classic Leeds design (one of my favorite AE's for the past 40 years), featuring a broader forefoot and offered in grained, brown cowhide, I sense the need to add to my shoe stable!

Thanks for a great post/thread!

Country
    United States
    State
    CA
    City
    Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by Happyboots View Post
    We started my tour, and the first thing he showed me were the leathers. He pointed out some striations in one piece, and explained that they were basically stretch marks that formed as the calf’s belly grew. He chuckled. “Some customers love those ‘lightning bolts’ and request them; others send their shoes back because they perceive them as a defect.”
    Quoting this for future reference

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    NY

Fantastic, thoughtful, detailed and well-written post - thank you. My girlfriend (and I for moral support) will join your fight against stupid, poorly made, over-priced women shoes (neat blog). She'd go further to argue that all men's clothes are made better for less than their women's equivalent.

It drives her crazy that I can buy meaningfully better quality clothing for less money than the mediocre quality that even the better women's brands offer. Since she is 5'11" +/- 135lbs, she can sometimes fit into men's small (sleeve length can be a challenge) and has periodically bought men's clothes like OCBD or shetland sweaters (and can wear a man's size 8 shoe if cut right) - when she does, she is amazed at the quality improvement.

Okay, this is a men's clothing forum so I'll stop there. But your comments reminded me how lucky men are that a better tradition of quality exists in men's clothing than in women's.

Country
    United States
    State
    NC
    City
    Waxhaw

Thanks for your contribution. I enjoyed it immensely.

Country
    United States
    State
    Pennsylvania
    City
    Philadelphia

There is a wonderful video online with none other than Ermes Effron Borgnino, better known as Ernest Borgnine, touring the factory and speaking to each worker. Ernie's down to earth personality and genuine interest in each workers skill and dedication comes through making it an interesting short documentary.
    I guess I'm pretty much of a lone wolf. I don't say I don't like people at all, but, to tell you the truth, I only like them if I have a chance to look deep into their hearts and their minds.

Bela Lugosi

Country
    United States
    State
    NC
    City
    Raleigh

Thanks so much for the comments about my post and blog, gentlemen! Your encouragement means so much to me.

The factory really IS shoe heaven! And Port Washington is heavenly too, such beautiful harbor town. I hear the fishing is wonderful.

Fading Fast, women's clothing is also a hot button for me, after shoes. I firmly believe there's a market out there for quality, preferably American-made women's apparel (just as there is for men), but it's taken a lot of searching to find even a couple of sources. I'm hopeful that if more women say "Enough!" to cheap, imported fast fashion, manufacturers will offer better and more options.
    Last edited by Happyboots; August 15th, 2015 at 13:45.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    NY

Thanks so much for the comments about my post and blog, gentlemen! Your encouragement means so much to me.

The factory really IS shoe heaven! And Port Washington is heavenly too, such beautiful harbor town. I hear the fishing is wonderful.

Fading Fast, women's clothing is also a hot button for me, after shoes. I firmly believe there's a market out there for quality, preferably American-made women's apparel (just as there is for men), but it's taken a lot of searching to find even a couple of sources. I'm hopeful that if more women say "Enough!" to cheap, imported fast fashion, manufacturers will offer better and more options.
    We think so too, but so far, like you, have only found a few decent sources. Far, far from a solution, but my girlfriend has found some decent value at an internet site everlane.com. And while not inexpensive, St James Knit does seem to make its women's sweaters up to the same quality of its men's and at the same price. Good luck with your blog and your search for value.

Country
    United States
    State
    NC
    City
    Raleigh

Thanks for the tip, I'll check Everlane out! I've been looking at bailey44, but haven't purchased anything yet.

Meanwhile, I finally bit the bullet and got measured for a suit, plus an extra pair of coordinating slacks. Getting an MTM suit is the single largest clothing purchase I've ever made, but my goal is to simplify my wardrobe and my process for getting ready for work in the morning!

Country
    United States
    State
    North Carolina
    City
    Greensboro

Happyboots, did you get to see any of the shoes made on the new 1943 last? It looks really good in pictures.

Country
    United States
    State
    WI
    City
    Elcho

Excellent post Happyboots, I really enjoyed reading your review. My wife and I are hoping AE will introduce a line of women's shoes. In the 80's they did have a line of women's shoes and my wife had a couple pair from this line and she really enjoyed them.

Country
    United States
    State
    NC
    City
    Raleigh

Winghus,

Unfortunately, I did not get to see either model - the Yorktown or the Cornwallis - being made. I asked about the new last, and Jim Kass of AE says the 1943 was designed with a slightly square, chiseled toe for a really sleek, refined look.

To me, the new shape is more evident on the Cornwallis. It's a gorgeous shoe. I think the Yorktown is mislabeled on the website, which says it was built on the 65. It was in fact built on the new 1943.

Country
    United States
    State
    NC
    City
    Raleigh

Thank you, FiscalDean! I appreciate the feedback!

As for the women's line, I wish I had better news, but one of the first questions I asked AE's CMO was if they were going to bring back women's. I didn't include his answer (no) or reasons in my post for this forum, but I did talk about it in the post I wrote for my own blog, wingtipwomen.

Of course, if your wife loves AE as much as I do, she could always special order in her size!

Country
    United States
    State
    WI
    City
    Elcho

Thank you, FiscalDean! I appreciate the feedback!

As for the women's line, I wish I had better news, but one of the first questions I asked AE's CMO was if they were going to bring back women's. I didn't include his answer (no) or reasons in my post for this forum, but I did talk about it in the post I wrote for my own blog, wingtipwomen.

Of course, if your wife loves AE as much as I do, she could always special order in her size!

That is a good point, I'll have to mention it to her.