Default Does The Sun Fade Clothes?

Hello all, I'm relatively new around here and so I hope this thread is in the correct forum.

I'm a college student, and during the semester I refuse to use the communal washing machines for reasons that are self-evident. That said, I'm now home for the summer and have at my disposal a decent washer/dryer.

I've done some research on this forum and found some neat advice on either using the machine's gentle cycle or hand washing clothes, but the guidelines regarding line drying are a bit more ambiguous.

Although I have my dress shirts ironed, I'm a bit less sure how to treat my weekend wear. To be frank, though, it is closer to my everyday wear considering my status as a student. I value my collection, and so I'm striving to take care of the clothes in a manner that promotes longevity and graceful aging.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I live in a hot and humid climate, and I'm wondering whether drying my clothes in the sun would lead to the colors fading. I'm not quite sure how else I would dry them, but I might prefer to do so indoors if the sun is detrimental to their integrity. That or perhaps I should learn to iron my shirts while still damp? Not sure if this is overkill for what are mostly sport shirts/polos.

I've taken all other relevant steps to preserve the integrity of the clothes, and would be grateful for any advice as to the specifics of line drying. Thanks in advance.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Montclair

Clothes wear out. The sun will probably fade them if you line dry them. That's probably gentler on them, overall, than throwing them in the dryer. It also feels nicer, and is cheaper. Win/win/win.
    "Don't point that gun at him, he's an unpaid intern. " - SZ

"So, I am a classicist. I am fond of discipline. I find men's clothing fascinating because sometime between, say, 1930 and 1936, a handful of basic shapes were created and still prevail as a sort of scale of expression, with which every man can project his own personality and his own dignity." - YSL

Country
    United States
    State
    Oregon
    City
    Oak Grove

If you put the shirts out to dry in the morning, by the time they're dry you can just bring them inside. It's unlikely that the length of sun exposure that it takes to dry them would cause them to fade before they wore out. Yes, sunlight makes anything fade, even rock! But it takes time, lots of time. A couple of hours every week or so won't do enough to notice.
    Half fashion plate, half slob, but aspiring to 'half country squire, half Fl‚neur'

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Welcome to the Cyber-Shire

"You have to care.
    Only in that way can you look
    As if you do not."--Flanderian

Many thanks for both replies. I'm a bit compulsive when left to my own doings, and so your advice is refreshing. I suppose that a bit of fading is the cost of living!

Country
    United States
    State
    Dixie
    City
    The Ham

No line drying for me! My mother loved to put clothes outside to dry. In the south, we have these things called wasps who like to congregate in the darndest of places (like inside the pants leg of a pair of khakis). Without going into graphic detail, I will just tell you that it was painful.

Country
    UK
    State
    Oxfordshire
    City
    Oxford

I tend to lay them flat on a surface in the heated laundry room to avoid both evils. Clothes fade whatever you do with them though. (And that is the importance of a good rotation...)
    'If you don't know what you're doing, do it elegantly.'

Country
    United States
    State
    Ohio
    City
    Dublin

Of course sun fades clothing. I have brightly colored golf shirts that show the fade above the beltline after only 3-4 wearings. One only notices, though, by comparing the sections of the shirt when in the laundry. So long as you are otherwise careful, drying the shirts in the sun will not result in an unpleasant or noticeable fading issue.

Country
    United States
    State
    FL
    City
    Jacksonville

I have a relatively empty closet and two drying racks in my catch all room. Shirts go on plastic hangers in the closet with everything else on the racks. Not the quickest way, but with the AC going, they dry within a day with the blinds barely open. No ill effects from the dryer or the sun.

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Bayside

Yes clothes fade out after years of wear and tear from the sun and the usage of the dryer.

Country
    United States
    State
    Ohio
    City
    Cincinnati

At my job, the security staff wears navy blazers outdoors, and they fade to a nasty purple within months. These are cheap ones from Kohl's or SteinMart, but they fade nonetheless.

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    United States
    State
    Virginia
    City
    Warrenton

From experience I can confirm that the sun WILL fade clothes and that the rate of fade depends on the fabric and dye. It does not have to be outside - the fading can occur through windows as well so be careful if your closet has exposure.

Personally I would never put any clothing item on a line in the sun. An indoor drying rack is a much better option and can be folded away when not in use.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

^^
    Perhaps I'm revealing nothing more than a generational difference in perspective, but, given the choice, I would always have my laundered clothes dried in the sunshine and fresh air. They just seem to smell better, feel better on the skin, and we're saving natural resources. With a Maytag dryer in our utility room and clotheslines strung across a corner of our back yard and given the choice, the clothesline will get the nod everytime!

Country
    United States
    State
    Virginia
    City
    Warrenton

^^ Ah, yessssss... I do fondly remember the smell of sheets from the line. It is hard to describe but there is no substitute for it.

Maybe just put all the white stuff on the line - that would be a good compromise!