Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hi guys! What colours would go well with this?

Hi everyone =)

I'm getting married in about 2 months, in a tropical country. I will have 2 suits: 1 for the morning (church/matrimony), and the other for the night reception (at a banquet hall in a hotel).

The night suit is still being made, so I don't have a pic of it yet, but when it's ready, I will post a pic and ask for your suggestions as well.

But below is a picture of me wearing the morning suit (bespoke). The suit is in champagne colour by the way.

I have a normal frame.... 180 cm tall (5'11"), about 77 kg (170 lbs). My questions are:

1. Can you recommend some alternatives for the tie colour? My preference is something vibrant and bold.....something that "pops out", like this kind of purple/magenta for example:

http://www.harryrosen.com/eng/produc...t_tie?05272768

But if you have any other suggestions, I'd like to know...

2. What about the pocket square? What colours do you think would best match the suit? Again, I like colours that pop out...

3. And the shirt? I find white is a little boring since it's too common, so I'd like to try a coloured shirt, but not sure what would go well with it...

4. Don't you think the thigh openings of the pants are a little bit baggy? I wonder if I should ask the tailor to trim it down a bit, to make it more slim fit, which is the way I like it. (By the way the pants are a bit low in the pic, because I forgot to wear a belt.....in case you're wondering...)

Cheers!!

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    Oregon
    City
    Oak Grove

It's a wedding. Therefore,

1. It's about the bride, not you. Don't you dare wear anything that would upstage her or she will make your life a living Hell for the short time the marriage lasts.

2. That champagne suit is dynamite for a tropical country. But now that we know you want to recede, not stand out try a pale yellow shirt and a deep blue necktie. The pocket square can be a darker yellow but don't let too much of it show. Remember, it's about her, not you.

3. Alternately, you could go with pale blue shirt, darker blue tie and pale blue pocket square.

4. A pink shirt and maroon tie would be really great looking if it was about you. It's not.

Good luck and remember, in any argument, you are wrong.
    Half fashion plate, half slob, but aspiring to 'half country squire, half Fl‚neur'

Hidden Content
    Welcome to the Cyber-Shire

"You have to care.
    Only in that way can you look
    As if you do not."--Flanderian

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Lawndale

Too much break.
    Orsini
    Redondo Beach, California, USA
    Hidden Content

"It would be wrong if it were a mistake. But the Duke knows better -- so it's alright."

Is that suit Sateen? It looks like it has some sheen to it. Is this the case?

Country
    United States
    State
    Virginia
    City
    McLean

I wouldn't comment on this were it not wedding attire we were discussing, but pictures of this day will presumably be around for a very long time. Those trousers are long, like orsini indicated. The bigger problem is that they are terribly slim-fitting. This is popular today, but is decidedly a fad. It will pass - indeed, it's already passed and its on the decline (thank goodness). If this suit was made for you, I've seen some particularly savvy tailors cut extra fabric for the inside of the trousers which can eventually (in your case, now!) be let out, knowing that the infatuation with cigarette leg trousers would pass. Take a gander, perhaps that's still an option. If not, see if anything can be let out and choose your shoes with care. Ten or twenty or thirty years from now, you will look silly in these pictures if the legs on your trousers are as slim as they appear to currently be. I would respectfully urge you to consider that, for your own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Orsini View Post
    Too much break.
    ? What do you mean by break?

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Montclair

Quote Originally Posted by palmtree8 View Post
    He means your pants are too long. The fold in your pants leg when it hits your shoe is the break. I say "fold," because there should be at most one single, soft fold. You do need to take your pants in to the tailor, but not to be slimmed down. You need to have them shortened, which will make them look much better.
    "Don't point that gun at him, he's an unpaid intern. " - SZ

"So, I am a classicist. I am fond of discipline. I find men's clothing fascinating because sometime between, say, 1930 and 1936, a handful of basic shapes were created and still prevail as a sort of scale of expression, with which every man can project his own personality and his own dignity." - YSL

Country
    United States
    State
    Virginia
    City
    McLean

This is about what you're looking for at the bottom of flat front trousers (also, i don't know why that word is getting highlighted in my posts; it's not intentional):

flatfrontbreak.jpg

Country
    United States
    State
    OH
    City
    Toledo

Quote Originally Posted by Youthful Repp-robate View Post
    He means your pants are too long. The fold in your pants leg when it hits your shoe is the break. I say "fold," because there should be at most one single, soft fold. You do need to take your pants in to the tailor, but not to be slimmed down. You need to have them shortened, which will make them look much better.
    The OP's opening post says, : "(By the way the pants are a bit low in the pic, because I forgot to wear a belt.....in case you're wondering...)". I guess I can understand how someone can forget to wear a belt, but I don't understand how someone can make public a picture of him forgetting to wear a belt.
    "What's the difference, it's all relative, wear what you want, there are no rules, all these self-appointed gurus, who the ---- are they, you look great man, rock it!

I just checked my calendar, is it 2005 again on Style Forum?" - Manton

Country
    United States
    State
    Virginia
    City
    PROVIDENCE FORGE

tough crowd here sometimes... I suggest a tie / pocket square that matches the bridesmaids colors. maybe a similar coodination for your groomsmen... A bold color wont make you stand out - hopefully everyone knows who you are! navy tie / square would look nice - the suit pops enough....

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Montclair

Quote Originally Posted by arkirshner View Post
    The OP's opening post says, : "(By the way the pants are a bit low in the pic, because I forgot to wear a belt.....in case you're wondering...)". I guess I can understand how someone can forget to wear a belt, but I don't understand how someone can make public a picture of him forgetting to wear a belt.
    I edited out a sentence that said the same thing, and forgot to replace it.

Of course, I've seen another post, on a different forum, in which a gentleman asked for fit advice on a jacket based on some photos of himself wearing the jacket without a shirt, so forgetting to wear a belt is a minor offense.
    "Don't point that gun at him, he's an unpaid intern. " - SZ

"So, I am a classicist. I am fond of discipline. I find men's clothing fascinating because sometime between, say, 1930 and 1936, a handful of basic shapes were created and still prevail as a sort of scale of expression, with which every man can project his own personality and his own dignity." - YSL

Quote Originally Posted by Youthful Repp-robate View Post
    Yes agree =). But keep in mind I wasn't wearing a belt in that pic, hence the "break".......but I totally agree with you about the one single, soft fold!!

Quote Originally Posted by PMRuby View Post
    This is about what you're looking for at the bottom of flat front trousers (also, i don't know why that word is getting highlighted in my posts; it's not intentional):

flatfrontbreak.jpg

Totally agree...that's how I like it too, just like in that pic!!

(About the highlighted word: it's the forum software that does that automatically...I guess that's how Andy set it up....)

Quote Originally Posted by arkirshner View Post
    Hehehe.....believe me, I wouldn't have embarrassed myself by posting that pic! However that's the only pic I have of me wearing the suit (it was the first fitting session at the tailor's workshop). I would've worn the suit and taken a better pic (better angle, better lighting, with a belt, etc), however the suit is still with the tailor now, who is based in the country where I will be getting married...so I don't have access to it.....yet....whoops!!

What about this tie? Do you guys think it would work well?

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page....wall%3Dviewall

And this pocket square?

http://stores.homestead.com/PocketSq...g/P1130608.JPG

Country
    United States
    State
    Oregon
    City
    Oak Grove

Yes, to both of them. Definitely, even.
    Half fashion plate, half slob, but aspiring to 'half country squire, half Fl‚neur'

Hidden Content

"You have to care.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Lawndale

See the fold where the trouser bottom meets the shoe? That is "break." Generally, you can have not very much ("small?"), a middling amount ("medium"), or a whole lot ("heavy.") What you have would be approaching "heavy break."

Always remember that trousers and slacks are all about line. You want to keep that line sweeping, smooth, and elongated. Along with a proper choice of socks and correct fit, an optimum break will help facilitate that.

The points are: trouser bottom just brush the top of the heel in the back, break in the front (that fold) is minimized, no sock shows when you walk or stand, and trouser bottom covers approximately two-thirds of the shoe (bet you guys haven't heard that for a while.)

To avoid showing too much shoe on the side, that bottom needs to go down as close to the deck as possible without being snagged under the heel. I usually ask for "as close as you can get."

I favor guardsman's slant to get that break into the small range while still covering the heel in the back. I ask for "as much as you can."

So now you get to chase after fit. So cultivate your alterations tailor, and stay away from in-house tailors. Good luck...
    Last edited by Orsini; August 25th, 2012 at 14:55.
    Orsini
    Redondo Beach, California, USA
    Hidden Content

"It would be wrong if it were a mistake. But the Duke knows better -- so it's alright."

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Palm Desert

Since you aleady have the jackets made ...

You might review the Dress Code article linked from the Home Page.

And the Ask Andy Wedding Guide may be helpful.
    Andy
    Hidden Content
    Products reviewed may be furnished by their makers, sometimes at no cost to the reviewer, or be purchased by the reviewer. The review is strictly the personal opinion of the reviewer.
    AskAndyAboutClothes strongly encourages all members to enhance our reviews by posting their individual experiences with reviewed products.

Country
    UK
    State
    Scottish Borders
    City
    Innerleithen

What about this tie? Do you guys think it would work well?

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page....wall%3Dviewall

And this pocket square?

http://stores.homestead.com/PocketSq...g/P1130608.JPG
    Respectfully disagree with Oldsarge @ #16 here. Too matchy-matchy with the suit, & impossible to say from looking at different pictures over the internet whether the champagne tie would even match the sand coloured suit. Oldsarge's original suggestion of pale blue shirt and a darker blue tie is much better in my view.

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Balfour View Post
    Respectfully disagree with Oldsarge @ #16 here. Too matchy-matchy with the suit, & impossible to say from looking at different pictures over the internet whether the champagne tie would even match the sand coloured suit. Oldsarge's original suggestion of pale blue shirt and a darker blue tie is much better in my view.
    Agree with Balfour. I'm not a big fan of the monochromatic layered look, though there is nothing wrong with it per se. But adding a bit of color would be a smarter option.

Quote Originally Posted by Balfour View Post
    Hi Balfour and Mike,

In fact I like stronger (yet elegant) colours too!

So, what about this for the pale blue shirt?

And how about this royal blue tie?

Country
    United States
    State
    OH
    City
    Toledo

Very nice. It's really not a tough crowd when combinations like these are proposed.
    "What's the difference, it's all relative, wear what you want, there are no rules, all these self-appointed gurus, who the ---- are they, you look great man, rock it!

I just checked my calendar, is it 2005 again on Style Forum?" - Manton

Country
    United States
    State
    Oregon
    City
    Oak Grove

I like those. Wear them.

Hidden Content

"You have to care.

Country
    Sweden
    State
    Sweden
    City
    Balsta

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsarge View Post
    It's a wedding. Therefore,

1. It's about the bride, not you. Don't you dare wear anything that would upstage her or she will make your life a living Hell for the short time the marriage lasts.

2. That champagne suit is dynamite for a tropical country. But now that we know you want to recede, not stand out try a pale yellow shirt and a deep blue necktie. The pocket square can be a darker yellow but don't let too much of it show. Remember, it's about her, not you.

3. Alternately, you could go with pale blue shirt, darker blue tie and pale blue pocket square.

4. A pink shirt and maroon tie would be really great looking if it was about you. It's not.

Good luck and remember, in any argument, you are wrong.
    A yellow shirt is way too informal, I would go with a white shirt. Too hard to get to work with the jacket. And white ps.

Agreed on 1.

The tie needs to be muted in the same beige/gold but can be a shiny silk. Anything else will break too much from the jacket. That won't work.

Something like this:

"Organic Paisley - Champagne
    (#21511)"

From the tie bar...

Country
    Sweden
    State
    Sweden
    City
    Balsta

Hi Balfour and Mike,

In fact I like stronger (yet elegant) colours too!

So, what about this for the pale blue shirt?

And how about this royal blue tie?

I think it breaks too much from the suit. It's a very light suit. Adding blue to the mix will be too strong/cold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast