Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are Braces an ageist thing? - Who wears them?

Are braces an ageist thing or am I one of the few younger guys who wear them? Who else out there wears them and what age group do you fall into? I don't think I am alone, but you never know !

I used to wear them just now and again but have now taken to wear them most days at work and often when out at weekends. I just find them much better than a belt and far more stylish. I don't see many other young guys wearing them but do get loads of positive comments from others when they see me with them on. I only ever see very old guys wearing them and then only as a real necessity and not as a fashion accessory or a bit of style.

I know many guys still hide them under jackets, and maybe thats why they are not seen but I just wonders how many guys out there do wear them, when they wear them and what age group most wearer fall into.

It would be nice to know I am not alone and that more guys than I think do actually wear them (maybe just hidden from sight).

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    SC
    City
    Greenville

Age bracket: 30-35
    When: almost always with suits (jacket rarely comes off), sometimes with sport coat/odd trousers
    Why: not for "style," but because they're more comfortable than a belt.

Age Bracket: 40 - 45

I have worn braces on-and-off for 20+ years. Belts have more practical purposes, but braces are more comfortable.

Age Bracket: 25-30

I wear them with suits and the coat always stays on. Braces are just so much more comfortable than belts and they hold up pants better too. This definately isn't a "style" item for me, it is just more comfortable.
    ďIíll keep it short and sweet: Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.Ē C. M. Burns

Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Eagan

I'm fat and 50 - braces look good.

Country
    United States
    State
    IL
    City
    Downers Grove

Not an "ageist" thing. It's an adult thing.
    David

Everything went to hell when we let California have its own pizza.

"The great thing about the internet is everyone has access to it. The bad thing about the internet is that everyone has access to it." me

"The Classic Style was developed, over time, by men who exhibited good taste and emulated by men who could recognize it." me

Braces look good in all situations.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Only we geezers! +90. Jeesh!

To some extent it inevitably will be. We gone from it being the norm 50 years ago to being occasional nowadays as styles and fashion have both moved on. Older people will tend to wear fashions more common when they were young but equally some younger people will wear braces because they choose to. Always remember that most trousers sold RTW are not suitable for braces so that further restricts the numbers who do - older people tend to be more senior which means higher salaries which means bespoke clothing.

Country
    United States
    State
    Minnesota
    City
    Minneapolis

If you want a pair of these babies from Filson, you're going to want the braces.
    "A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman."
    -- E.G. Bulwer-Lytton Darnley, 1845

12. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)

+1 to everyone

Age Bracket: 15-20

I like wearing braces with suits because they are more comfortable than belts. They also look good, too!
    "It is better to look good than to feel good." Fernando Lamas

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
    Mark Twain

"I hope that after I die, people will say of me: 'That guy sure owed me a lot of money.'" Jack Handey

"
    Of all the things I've become attached to, The ones I superglued to myself caused the greatest regret. " Daniel Rahe

Bracket 45-50. I have converted to braces after seeing the light here at AAAC and Will B's ASW blog. They're more comfortable.

I'll even wear clip-ons, but only furtively, i.e. around the house or if I can cover up my shameful deed with a vest or sweater.

Country
    United States
    State
    Delaware
    City
    Hockessin

30 - 35
    I own them, but I lost some weight and no longer wear most of the pants that have the buttons. I still have one pair with the buttons, and use the braces every now and then. Maybe I should add buttons to all of my current pants...

Country
    United States
    State
    Pennsylvania
    City
    Philadelphia

I'm 60+ and have been wearing them since college because I like the way they keep the waistband of my pants level. I'm not overweight (6'2", 34 waist), but the waistband of my pants rides a bit lower in the front than in the back when I wear a belt at a comfortable length. It's not a big deal, but I like the way braces counter it.

Loved to Rab C Nesbitt photo but that is not the style I was thinking of Ha Ha.

I myself am 35-40 age range and wore braces off and on until a few years ago when I changed over fully and now wear them almost all the time. If I turn up at work without them on people ask "where are the braces today".

Sounds like lots of guys do wear braces but prefer to hide them away, why is that? Is it a USA thing or a Brit thing?

So I am not alone with wearing braces, but sounds like I may be alone with wanting to show them off without a jacket. (unless you do also !!)

I love to show mine off and mix and match them with different shirt & ties, adds a splash of colour to the place. I have never found anyone offended by me wearing my braces without a jacket, lots of people comment how good they look. I just think because people tend to hide them away other people must think like me that no one else does wear them and my feel a bit awkwark about trying to wear braces themselves. If a few more people would give them a try they would find out how comfortable they are and how stylish they can look (without being hidden by a jacket!!!)

Country
    Christmas Island
    State
    N/A
    City
    N/A

No, although I imagine that trousers specifically designed for them (fishtail back, etc.) are.

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Lad View Post
    Sounds like lots of guys do wear braces but prefer to hide them away, why is that? Is it a USA thing or a Brit thing?
    Here's some evidence from a fellow Cumbrian that it is (or at least was) a Brit thing (though possibly also a USA thing).
    http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000014.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt N View Post
    Here's some evidence from a fellow Cumbrian that it is (or at least was) a Brit thing (though possibly also a USA thing).
    http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000014.html
    Wow how can they say wearing braces without a jacket is like wearing your underwear outside !!! You would like to think things have changed a bit these days, mind you if I went out in my underwear I don't think I would get as many positive comments back as I do when I wear my braces out. I don't think the sight of me in my boxer/briefs would be a good one Ha Ha.

Any other Brits got a point of view on this? Maybe we can turn the trend around and shake off the underwear image.

I will stick to the braces without the jacket and try and squash this old school thing of hiding them away. Power to the Braces !!!

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    NYC

I just turned 21 and have been wearing braces almost exclusively for 2 years now, and for another 2 or 3 years prior have been wearing them with suits. I had about a month where I wore a belt extremely sporadically, probably enough times to count on both hands. I am more often than not jacketless and for about 7 weeks or so have been wearing fishtail trousers (still jacketless!). While I've been trying to wear a jacket more often, the fact that it's getting hotter and the ones I have are wearing out hampers this.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Lad View Post
    Wow how can they say wearing braces without a jacket is like wearing your underwear outside !!! You would like to think things have changed a bit these days, mind you if I went out in my underwear I don't think I would get as many positive comments back as I do when I wear my braces out. I don't think the sight of me in my boxer/briefs would be a good one Ha Ha.

Any other Brits got a point of view on this? Maybe we can turn the trend around and shake off the underwear image.

I will stick to the braces without the jacket and try and squash this old school thing of hiding them away. Power to the Braces !!!
    Yes, the braces are the same as underwear thing has been around for awhile and is "proper", but then again, the same used to be said of a shirt and it was considered rude to remove one's coat with a lady present. Times change. As far as I'm concerned, if they were never supposed to be seen, why do they make them in different colors?

I rarely wear them but I think that is in part due to the fact that no one else here at the company does and I don't want to become "the guy who wears suspenders all the time". Though I do own a suit that doesn't have belt loops and I wear them with that and usually get compliments.

Oh, and I'm in the 25-30 range.

Country
    England
    State
    hampshire
    City
    southampton

hi im 28 and only wear a suit once in a while but i always wear braces with them, i also wear them with jeans. As for hiding them i dont go in for that if your scared of what people might think then you are silly just wear them be proud and most of all have fun.

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    New York

I'm 22 and I wear braces with my suits. They are far more comfortable and secure than belts. I'd wear them all the time if I could always keep them hidden. I don't like to display them, so they are always underneath a suit, sports coat or sweater.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if they were never supposed to be seen, why do they make them in different colors?
    Just please don't apply that logic to boxer shorts!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt N View Post
    Just please don't apply that logic to boxer shorts!
    Yes I could not agree more, but you do see lots of young guys with jeans at half mast and boxers on full show, I think they are the ones who need the braces Ha Ha.

The point below that Hanzo made is exactly my issue, if more guys showed off their braces then others would not be embarrassed about wearing them as well...

QUOTE... [I rarely wear them but I think that is in part due to the fact that no one else here at the company does and I don't want to become "the guy who wears suspenders all the time". Though I do own a suit that doesn't have belt loops and I wear them with that and usually get compliments.]

Sounds like more people than we think wear braces but still hide them away. If young guys can walk about with their boxers on full show what is wrong with walking about with braces on full show?
    In this day and age is it really still thought of as underwear that should be hidden?

Should I cover them up from now on or still go for it and show my braces off?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast